Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   R.I.P. My 98 Civic HX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/r-i-p-my-98-civic-hx-9786.html)

pyrophite 08-21-2008 10:35 AM

R.I.P. My 98 Civic HX

Well last week my 1998 Honda Civic HX burst into flames and was destroyed. I was driving it when i smelled gas, i tried to pull over, but by the time i did, a flame came out from next to my emergency brake, and then the whole hood burst into flames.

*sigh* i hardly had 2 months with her before she was totaled. It's sad really, the car was in beautiful condition and i got such a deal. Thank goodness for full insurance coverage. Also since i got such a deal in the first place, the insurance company is giving me $1000 more than i paid for it, which still will make it hard to replace.

Oh well, i suppose it's time to be back on the market for a new HX.

thornburg 08-21-2008 10:39 AM

Sorry to hear what happened... you didn't get hurt, right?

I don't suppose you got to keep anything at all? I think loserkidwac got to keep all sorts of stuff when his car was totaled (of course, his didn't burst into flames), and I'm not entirely sure how that worked...

Jay2TheRescue 08-21-2008 10:42 AM

I've had leaky fuel lines on cars before, but thankfully I never had one catch on fire. Sorry to hear about it. I know I usually shop for months before I finally purchase the right car at the right price. I'd hate to think how I'd feel if I researched, looked, and test drove for several months, only to go through it all over again so soon...

-Jay

pyrophite 08-21-2008 10:59 AM

I think they told me i could have salvaged what i wanted from the car, but sadly the o2 sensor was melted as well as most of the engine compartment. The only thing i think that would have been worth salvaging would have been the wheels, but i felt weird asking if i could have them because frankly, how would they have transported it.

I didn't get hurt thank god, except for the damn broken hose that took a bit of skin off, but eh, it could have been worse. I just hope i can find another great deal.

thisisntjared 08-21-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrophite (Post 115853)
I think they told me i could have salvaged what i wanted from the car, but sadly the o2 sensor was melted as well as most of the engine compartment. The only thing i think that would have been worth salvaging would have been the wheels, but i felt weird asking if i could have them because frankly, how would they have transported it.

on a flat bed.

ive stripped two of my cars and had the towing company just pull it onto the flat bed with no suspension brakes or wheels.

thornburg 08-21-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrophite (Post 115853)

I didn't get hurt thank god, except for the damn broken hose that took a bit of skin off, but eh, it could have been worse. I just hope i can find another great deal.

Shucks, I was hoping you'd have an extra set of HX wheels for sale... But I'm a total cheapskate, so you could have gotten more for them elsewhere anyway. Someday I'll find a decent set of 4-lug alloys for real cheap.

Glad to hear you weren't really hurt. I don't know about you, but I would have been totally freaked if my car burst into flames while I was driving it. Ok, I admit it, I would also be totally freaked if my car burst into flames while I wasn't driving it. :eek:

Jay2TheRescue 08-21-2008 12:29 PM

I keep a 15 lb ABC drychem fire extuingisher behind the seat in Rusty just for such an occasion.

-Jay

thornburg 08-21-2008 12:48 PM

I also keep a fire extinguisher in one of the cars, I need to pick up another one so I can have one in each.

Jay2TheRescue 08-21-2008 01:05 PM

Yeah, same here... I've always been most concerned with Rusty because he used to have overheating problems. Now with him only going ~100 miles/mo you never can tell with a old vehicle that doesn't get driven much. I made sure when I gave dad the keys that he knew that there was a fire extuingisher behind the seat... just in case... I'd much rather replace a few melted vacuum lines and wires than to deal with an old burnt out truck.

-Jay

Loserkidwac 08-21-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornburg (Post 115845)
Sorry to hear what happened... you didn't get hurt, right?

I don't suppose you got to keep anything at all? I think loserkidwac got to keep all sorts of stuff when his car was totaled (of course, his didn't burst into flames), and I'm not entirely sure how that worked...

I had to "buy back" my car from the insurance company...just means they cut me a slightly smaller check, get a salvage title in my name and I did have to tow the car home from the storage place they sent it to after the accident...In my case it was perfect since I needed everything for the swap in to the del sol...only cost me $200 to get it back and my suspension alone was worth more then that...

Sorry to hear about the HX...my VX was taken from me within the first year of owning it and finding a replacement was tuff...decided to get a Del Sol and throw the VX motor and trans in it and I will say its great, but I do miss the room/storage my Hatch had... I'm sure you'll find something soon enough!