Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Tire slow leak (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/tire-slow-leak-9832.html)

alanchap 08-27-2008 02:53 PM

Tire slow leak

How often do you need to check the tire pressure on newer tires? :confused:

Seems like I have to add air every few days to keep them up above 32psi. Seems like they should hold better than that for longer. I am going to take the car into discount tire today and see if there is a slow leak somewhere, any suggestions on where to have them look and to make sure they don't try to blow smoke up my .....:(

Thanks

GasSavers_Erik 08-27-2008 03:13 PM

Spray/dribble some water with dish soap around the bead as well as on/around the valve stem- then watch for bubbles

Jay2TheRescue 08-27-2008 03:24 PM

Even when I didn't drive the Buick for a year the tires were still @ 30 PSI when I started to drive it again. I would get those tires looked at. Also have them look @ the rim. On my old 74 Chevy there was one rim that no matter what you did, the tire leaked. I even replaced the tire and the new one leaked. I put an inner-tube on that wheel and considered it done. Never had a problem after that.

-Jay

alanchap 08-27-2008 04:19 PM

I took it in and three of the stems were shot and one had a nail in it so all four had issues. I guess living in phoenix I should get used to checking for dry rot. Thanks for the responses.

palemelanesian 08-28-2008 07:53 AM

Discount tire co? They have an ongoing recall on valve stems.

T.P. 08-28-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanchap (Post 116546)
I took it in and three of the stems were shot and one had a nail in it so all four had issues. I guess living in phoenix I should get used to checking for dry rot. Thanks for the responses.

The heat will kill tires fast!

1 psi loss a month is about average

Danronian 08-29-2008 03:50 PM

Valve stems should always be replaced when you get new tires, something I've had to specify before when getting new tires. Glad to hear you got your slow-leak issue resolved.

ffvben 08-30-2008 04:52 PM

I've also seen corrosion on cheap alum rims around the bead , the tires leak fast. Also on the electronic valve stems, they sometimes leak at the base after replacing a tire, they now have just the small seal available thats in between the valve and rim, you don't have to buy the $130 valve stem anymore.

kamesama980 08-30-2008 07:28 PM

-over 1psi/month should be looked at.
-if a shop doesn't replace your valve stems with a new tire, take your stuff and get out.
-leaking or not, check your tires at least every month. that way you find out if you have a leak before it's visible (which is pretty low for most people).

I've found aluminum rims are usually OK for the first set of tires or 5 years. once they've been ground with a brushwheel to clean them or regular weathering for a few years they usually need to be cleaned/sealed every 2 years. (unless you have chrysler rims, then it's every 10 months. or chrysler chrome rims then it's every 3)

alanchap 08-30-2008 07:59 PM

The shop I went to said they replaced them and did not charge me because I am a long time customer, ok cool. Well today I decided to check there work. I found that the stems were not replaced and if you move them you can see large cracks. :eek:

I am going to try another shop, the one that I usually go to for my cars. They have gone down about 4psi each since I took the car in. I am frustrated but I guess that is to be expected when working with a national chain, the service is going to be hit or miss.

Thanks again for all the info here, it has helped me a ton with upping my mpg. :D