Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   '09 Yaris 5-door in USA! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/09-yaris-5-door-in-usa-9999.html)

Project84 09-16-2008 11:05 AM

'09 Yaris 5-door in USA!

I was just about to "Build my own" Yaris again, since I'm still so iffy about buying a new car and guess what I found!!??

The '09 Yaris lineup is offering the 5-door liftback to US consumers! Originally pegged as never coming our way due to being direct competition with the Scion XA (owned by Toyota), it looks like they wised up and decided to give it to us!

Doesn't seem to be offered w/ a 5-speed manual transmission though. :(

Still pretty cool!

civic94 09-16-2008 11:41 AM

its surprising that it cost more than the 4 door sedan, 1 less mpg on the highway than the sedan. i'm really for it, but i think the average person would get the sedan since theres extra trunk space and cheaper.

thisisntjared 09-16-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic94 (Post 118736)
i'm really for it, but i think the average person would get the sedan since theres extra trunk space and cheaper.

thats very strange that there is less trunk space in the liftback. it makes the fit the better candidate for a 5 door.:confused: i mean i thought the sedan had just enough room compared to the competing models.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-16-2008 12:53 PM

the reason it is more expensive than the sedan is because you can only get it in an auto trans. if you were to put auto trans on the sedan, the prices are probably really close.

I don't know about the trunk space but honda thinks a lot of their fits. they run pretty high with the auto trans. I know, they come with power everything and it is a honda.

dkjones96 09-16-2008 01:57 PM

They discontinued the xA so it makes sense to bring it in now.

Project84 09-16-2008 05:02 PM

I don't follow Scion, but that's news to me! I think the only worth while creation Scion has had is the tC, I only think that because I like it's styling. Japan can keep all the others.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-17-2008 06:21 AM

it is a direct competitor for the fit. it was before but you didn't have the same configuration (5-door hatch). I like it a lot. I am considering getting it instead of the smart. I like the smart but I am going to be a dad soon and 3 don't fit.

I am curious about standard features. it doesn't say a lot on the web site about it and you can't configure it yet. all I really care about is A/C which I know it comes with and a radio (not sure if the base price comes with that). other than that, I'm cool. I do want an armrest but I can get one at jcwhitney for 40 bucks so they can keep their 125 dollar option.

I had actually talked about the yaris before to my wife but she didn't like the fact that you had to put the baby seat in the back of a 2-door. with the smart, you can put a baby seat in the front and it automatically cuts off the airbag. also, my wife likes hatchbacks now because of her honda element (oversized, 4wd hatchback). that is the reason that we are focusing on hatchbacks. the 4 door hatch opens up all sorts of new options for us. it could be our family car (small family as it is) and the element can just be the tow vehicle for when we need to go to lowes.

Project84 09-17-2008 08:08 AM

If you build your own Yaris sedan or 2 door hatch on their website, you MUST CHOOSE "option package A" or "option package B". "A" is like a $1,000 option that gives things like a/c, cd, cruise, tilt, "B" is like $1,800 and adds power windows, locks, keyless entry, heavy duty heater, heavy duty starter, etc.

So the base price isn't really the base price because you HAVE TO CHOOSE one of these two options. Standard features would be option A.

I checked locally on rebate offers and they list something for every model besides the Pruis or Yaris.... lame.

thisisntjared 09-17-2008 11:45 AM

seems like you have to choose an option as standard... weird.

Z man 09-17-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project84 (Post 118752)
I don't follow Scion, but that's news to me! I think the only worth while creation Scion has had is the tC, I only think that because I like it's styling. Japan can keep all the others.

The tC...cool, but it has a Camry motor and looks like a snub nosed Celica. My 53 year old mother has one. Lol!

The new Yaris should come with a manual!

Rstb88 09-17-2008 07:10 PM

As a safety thing, the 5 door comes with a lot more safety features than the 3 door. The xA was replaced with the xD(has the 1.8l). The 5door yaris has curtain airbags. I think the Yaris would be the better option over the Fit but then again I'm Biased.
<<<<<

thisisntjared 09-18-2008 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rstb88 (Post 118892)
As a safety thing, the 5 door comes with a lot more safety features than the 3 door. The xA was replaced with the xD(has the 1.8l). The 5door yaris has curtain airbags. I think the Yaris would be the better option over the Fit but then again I'm Biased.
<<<<<

this isnt a fit vs yaris thread.

i am unbiased.

anyway. i think it was unwise for toyota to wait on sending in the 5door yaris, honda got a good 2 year head start in the market share for it.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-18-2008 06:16 AM

at the same time, toyota was one of the few to offer a 2-door hatch as they are becoming more and more rare. I think it was a gamble of where the market was going. some went 4-doors others went 2-doors. right now the 4-doors are winning out.

I like them both but the baby seat is easier to get in a 4-door. I also there are other advantages but that is the one that will affect me.

swng 09-18-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 118915)
at the same time, toyota was one of the few to offer a 2-door hatch as they are becoming more and more rare. I think it was a gamble of where the market was going. some went 4-doors others went 2-doors. right now the 4-doors are winning out.

I like them both but the baby seat is easier to get in a 4-door. I also there are other advantages but that is the one that will affect me.

I have once bought a Yaris HB for my wife. I ordered a coupe just to, amongst other reasons, save a few hundred dollars as compared to buying the 4-door version, only to discover later that the 4-door car was in actual fact less expensive in terms of insurance (I am in BC). In other words, the two extra doors can in fact pay for themselves in the long run.

BumblingB 09-18-2008 05:56 PM

That's awesome it's coming. About time! MUCH better than the Xd since the Xd has a 1.8 vs the Yaris' 1.5.

Better choice IMO over the options of other 5-dr cars out there. Practical for small families.

R.I.D.E. 09-18-2008 06:15 PM

Last Corolla I owned had alignment problems when I bought it new with 6 miles on the odometer. Badly worn outside of the front tires at 13 k miles.

Took it to the dealer and they tried to tell me it was because I didn't rotate the tires every 5k miles. I told them I had not rotated or balanced the tires on my XB for 31 k miles and they took it in on trade with no complaint.

Then they charged me to rotate and balance.

After another 6k miles I checked the balance myself. The morons had balanced the front wheels and put them on the rear, but did not balance the rears when they put them on the front. Both front tires were at least 1 ounce out of balance, and the rotated rear tires were now wearing out on the outside just like the originals.

I took the car to a different dealer, whose service manager I had known for over 20 years. He put it on their alignment machine and all 4 wheels were out.
The original dealer told me they were within specs. Total toe was out at both ends, and the rear end had alignemnt problems that were soo serious they had to take the car to a frame shop to get the mounting points located properly and replace the rear axle, to get everything straight.

Toyota gave me a set of tires because all of this happened before the car reached 20 k miles.

Personally I think Toyota is getting the kind of attitude that GM had in the 60s. I have heard of other people having similar alignment problems with Corollas made in Canada. My car was purchased brand new and never had any reason for a misalignment. No one else ever drove it either.

Its one of the reasons I sold the Corolla and bought old Hondas that get better mileage. My vx averages 20 MPG better than the AT Corolla, and Toyota will not see any more business from me.

regards
gary

goofy1 09-18-2008 06:17 PM

mexico has had a 5 door Yaris since last year i think. i saw several while i was in Juarez back in aug.