2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid mpg: dash vs. real - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
Registered Member

Looks like most here are getting mid 30s to around 40 MPG with the Fusion Hybrid. With a bit more aggressive hypermiling you should get mid 40's to around 50 MPG.

Give it a tank or 2 & concentrate on manipulating the car to maximize MPG's. Learning how to coast is vital to getting higher numbers.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Ford also sold off Volvo when it was scrambling to save itself before the recession.

The Drive-E is the name of their new ICE line. The only hybrid they sell is the plug-in one, which uses a diesel ICE. It is an AWD through the road hybrid. The front wheels are powered by the ICE and the back by the motor. It is completely different from Ford's system in the hybrids and Energis.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...uto-show-debut
Ok, that's pretty darned cool.

Unfortunately the devil's in the details...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
it's not expected to be sold in the U.S. in its current form.
Great for folks where it IS available though.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
Combined fuel consumption on the European cycle is 129 mpg. Volvo freely admits you're unlikely to see this number in daily driving, and it's simply what the car achieves in testing.

{...}

In real-world driving, you'll rarely get close to the official 129 mpg, of course. Our test car managed a useful 50 mpg in hybrid mode during mixed city and suburban driving. That dropped to 38 mpg once we'd depleted the battery's reserves and had to rumble along on diesel alone.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
Registered Member

Maybe 130 - 150 MPG is a tad optimistic, official figures often are, but I think 100 MPG is easily achevieable, there are normal non-hybrid diesels on offer from Volvo currently on sale that get close to 90 MPG.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
Registered Member

The actual mileage also depends a lot on your driving habits. The Fusion hybrid has a lot of customizeable screens that give useful feedback regarding fuel economy.
I have a Ford C-Max Energi and get 42 to 45 MPG in Hybrid mode even with a lot of highway driving. The dashboard MPG readout is about 2 MPG higher than it actually is. You can track the dashboard readouts in the comments for every fuel up.
Hope this helps.
Looser71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
Registered Member

Our 2014 Civic Hybrid understates the actual MPG by about 3. It consistently reads 41-43 while we've calculated 45.6. I wonder if Honda made a decision to be very conservative about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
In my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid the dash readout is usually 2 MPG higher than my actual calculated mileage. Also, make sure when you fill your tank that you reset the average MPG readout. These displays are never intended to be exact, but generally are within ± 1-3 MPG. Also consider that most often they will overstate the mileage. Very rarely do I see one that reads less than the actual calculated mileage.
TheBlancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #16
Registered Member

Hi, here is a link for US Ford Hybrids; Ford has finally decided to accept that their Hybrids fuel consumptions is totally different than advertised.
Read article...http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...open-questions
Lesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
Registered Member

I agree that some gas sold at the cheapie gas stations affects mileage. I immediately see a 5% drop in mileage between the cheap gas stations vs a name brand like Chevron. Unfortunately, all gas in my area is 10% Ethanol, which drops 4 mpg off my car.
Everyone has a different commute, yours may be one that is not advantageous to mpg. My old residence allowed me to get 75mpg avg in my car, now that I live in a different area I average low 60's, nothing else changed but the route I have to take to work now.
itripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

My brother has a 2014 Fusion as well and he averages around 40 mpg per fillup. He lives in hills, so I'm sure that has an affect, but seeing as how Ford was penalized for overstating it's hybrid gas mileage in advertising, he takes what he gets as acceptable. The other option is to drive a Ford F150 pickup truck.
I've notice that most in-car computer readouts are optimistic in their MPG readings. My Mazda product is consistently displaying 10% higher MPG than what I calculate at each fillup. My long gone VW also consistently reported 10% higher than what I would calculate after fillups. My wife's Accord Hybrid (2015) is the one exception. After 3 fillups, the car computer is reporting just about what is calculated. I just filled it up this morning and the car reported 46.3 MPG while the calculated MPG was 46.2. The other fillups were just as close, differing by only a tenth of a mile per gallon or so. I think that is pretty incredible. Most of the drive is flat city, to & from work, with the occasional freeway trip on weekends. If you really want to get a more accurate reading in your Fusion, think about getting a Scangauge II (maybe version III by now). I have it in my car (Mazda) and it can be calibrated at every fillup. The sad part is that it shows a lower MPG than the car computer, but the truth always hurts.
MpgParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #19
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, Hondas seem to be pretty close with their estimates... I've heard that from several folks.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
In my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid the dash readout is usually 2 MPG higher than my actual calculated mileage. Also, make sure when you fill your tank that you reset the average MPG readout. These displays are never intended to be exact, but generally are within ± 1-3 MPG. Also consider that most often they will overstate the mileage. Very rarely do I see one that reads less than the actual calculated mileage.
My 2011 Prius averages about 2.5 mpg less than indicated. Our CRV is usually within 0.1 mpg of that indicated. Having another data field for indicated mpg is a good idea.

floridasand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, ford, fusion, hybrid, mpg