vehicle base odometer data - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
If you are using the odometer for the distance traveled for a new car, you have to do a complete fill, not partial, and record the odometer reading for that fill. The system can't calculate any data from that; this is just to set the zero point for future entries. You will get calculated fuel consumption and all on the next complete fill.

If you must have data on your first entry, you have to use the trip odometer for recording entries.
Yes, the more I've tried to work around how the odometer recording just absolutely, positively doesn't work any way whatsoever like the way I want it to, the more obvious it has become that I'll really just have to use trip odometer recording in order to get Fuelly to match the reality of my actual fill-ups and mileage. If I've sounded like an old curmudgeon here, this is the reason why.

thoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Yes, the more I've tried to work around how the odometer recording just absolutely, positively doesn't work any way whatsoever like the way I want it to, the more obvious it has become that I'll really just have to use trip odometer recording in order to get Fuelly to match the reality of my actual fill-ups and mileage. If I've sounded like an old curmudgeon here, this is the reason why.
But how could you independant of the system used, use the partial fill up and x miles at all?

Berttrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
BDC
Registered Member

Quote:
Dude... just add a new first fillup at 9 miles with zero gallons information... set its date to anytime before the fillup you already logged... that's literally all you have to do to solve your problem. I just took 30 seconds to create a test vehicle and tried it and it's literally that simple.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC View Post
Dude... just add a new first fillup at 9 miles with zero gallons information... set its date to anytime before the fillup you already logged... that's literally all you have to do to solve your problem. I just took 30 seconds to create a test vehicle and tried it and it's literally that simple.
Well, except.....

I don't really know if the dealership actually topped off the fuel at 9 miles exactly or not -- they might have done it before then, but I'd never be able to tell the difference. So, it was just all around better for me to start my spreadsheet mileage at "zero" miles. Go ahead and try that in here -- nope, you can't have a fill up at zero miles, either. Every single thing I have tried here, in order to synch up with my private records, just plain won't work! I have beaten my head against a brick wall ever since I found this site. Oh, sure, I can do all kinds of things that don't synch up with my private records, but I just can't start a new vehicle with a fill-up at zero miles, like I have recorded it in my spreadsheet.

In the end, again, it seems that I've just got to go by trip odometer readings, not odometer readings, because of the way they have chosen to "program" the odometer reading entries.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berttrack View Post
But how could you independant of the system used, use the partial fill up and x miles at all?
I'm not sure what you're getting at -- you mean with my spreadsheet? Well, it's all so very simple. My Fuelly-fatal problem was to start my car at "zero" miles, which is not possible to do here, with readings based upon the odometer. The system simply will not allow you to do that. But, back in normal reality with a spreadsheet, I picked up my car with 9 miles on it -- but I really don't know if they topped it off at 9 miles, or perhaps at 1 mile or 2 miles or wherever -- so I started with a mileage of "zero," and I just recorded my first fill-up when I filled it up, at 366 miles.

And so on -- each fill-up, whether it's a full or partial one, is the number of miles added to the odometer and the number of gallons added to the tank since the last fill-up. There is no concept of a "partial" fill-up -- it's the miles driven and the gallons used, period. It's all completely simple.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
Registered Member

In a perfect world the manufacurer would send the new car out into the world with a zeroed trip and a full fuel tank. As it took threatening to purchase the car from another Hyundai dealer to get them to say they would stick a tenner in (i beleive it was more likely £5 diesel judging it...) that is highly unlikely. 9 miles on the odomoter and without the fuel warning light on was best i got. I ended up driving about 70 miles before i could get a full tank, so my cars history is about 70 miles askew (real reading on the dash compared to what fuelly thinks i ve done). I ve learned to live with it....!
benlovesgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't really know if the dealership actually topped off the fuel at 9 miles exactly or not -- they might have done it before then, but I'd never be able to tell the difference.
Which is why Fuelly is set up to start tracking data from when the owner or driver first tops off the tank, because you don't know if the tank is truly filled when you get it.
Quote:
So, it was just all around better for me to start my spreadsheet mileage at "zero" miles. Go ahead and try that in here -- nope, you can't have a fill up at zero miles, either. Every single thing I have tried here, in order to synch up with my private records, just plain won't work!
Using the odometer reading, and setting the start point to zero miles will lead to more work and greater risk of error, since you will need to subtract the actual reading on the odometer, when you started at 'zero' everytime you fill up, whether it is 9 miles or 31,695. It is much easier to just enter the odometer reading and let Fuelly handle that subtraction for the user.

Quote:
I have beaten my head against a brick wall ever since I found this site. Oh, sure, I can do all kinds of things that don't synch up with my private records, but I just can't start a new vehicle with a fill-up at zero miles, like I have recorded it in my spreadsheet.

In the end, again, it seems that I've just got to go by trip odometer readings, not odometer readings, because of the way they have chosen to "program" the odometer reading entries.
Fuelly is set up to be straight forward for anybody to use, whether they are driving a new car or a beater they just got. Overthinking it, or trying to get the numbers to match up to a custom spreadsheet will just lead to frustration.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote