Version 2.1 Issues - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > iOS | Fuelly Mobile
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHim View Post
otto - did you try to logout then back in?

RobertV - my numbers are correct now, not good but correct. I did notice something, I scrolled down my log to see if everything looked right when I got to the bottom I tapped the top centre of the screen (Clock) to return to the top of the log as most apps do, nothing happened I had to swipe several times to get back to the top. I don't know if this is new, a bug or a missed programable feature.
yup just did.

now its reading 3.6L/100Km when online is set to MPG. Set the app to M/Gallons.same issue.

Change the app to miles. now reads 3.6MPG

But if I switch to online to L/100. Set the app to L/100 and edit the car to L/100KM I get better numbers.

online its 13.4/11.5/11.5 and app reads 13.6/11.5/11.5

ottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #32
Registered Member

I'm now actually able to use the location feature to enter what gas station I'm filling up at, but it's missing the station closest to me. Where does the app get its gas station data from?

InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #33
Registered Member

My sync issue has been resolved. Thank!
kb1elv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I'm now actually able to use the location feature to enter what gas station I'm filling up at, but it's missing the station closest to me. Where does the app get its gas station data from?
WE use Google Maps API to power the Gas Station location list. We plan to develop a tool for users to add, edit & verify data about Gas Stations in the future. We want to switch to our own Gas Station database (vs using Google) ASAP.

For now, if you want to track a fuel-up and the location it came from you can use the tag system. In an upcoming release we will be adding brand (Shell, Exxon, Esso, etc) so that might help as well. We are also going to be adding Octane, and a couple other fields related to vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1elv View Post
My sync issue has been resolved. Thank!
Great news. I'm glad it's fixed. If the app works well for you, we really appreciate a positive review in the app store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottx View Post
yup just did.

now its reading 3.6L/100Km when online is set to MPG. Set the app to M/Gallons.same issue.

Change the app to miles. now reads 3.6MPG

But if I switch to online to L/100. Set the app to L/100 and edit the car to L/100KM I get better numbers.

online its 13.4/11.5/11.5 and app reads 13.6/11.5/11.5
I would suggest deleting the app (make sure it's synced). then I would go to the website and set the units to those that you want to use. Then install the app and try it out again. Please report back here, we need your feedback to iron out any little bugs. Thanks!
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #35
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrobo View Post
WE use Google Maps API to power the Gas Station location list. We plan to develop a tool for users to add, edit & verify data about Gas Stations in the future. We want to switch to our own Gas Station database (vs using Google) ASAP.
If that is the data you are getting back from the Google Maps API, it isn't helping the quality of that feature. I was sitting in a gas station and it was not on the list. I searched via the iOS Google Maps app and it did not show it either. Yes, you are only getting the data Google gives you. No, it does not make your app useful (or look good). Frankly, developing your own with other things your app/site needs might not be the best use of resources. If you could get gas station data from GasBuddy or Waze, I've found that data to be pretty consistently good.
looking4OPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4OPH View Post
If that is the data you are getting back from the Google Maps API, it isn't helping the quality of that feature. I was sitting in a gas station and it was not on the list. I searched via the iOS Google Maps app and it did not show it either. Yes, you are only getting the data Google gives you. No, it does not make your app useful (or look good). Frankly, developing your own with other things your app/site needs might not be the best use of resources. If you could get gas station data from GasBuddy or Waze, I've found that data to be pretty consistently good.
You do realize that Fuelly is an app that is used globally, do you? Google likely has a more complete global set of data than GasBuddy or Waze. I think they had to make a choice of data providers, and I don't think Google is a bad choice.

They could probably merge the three data providers, but in some cases it would simply just cause one location to show up three times and it becomes another issue they need to solve.

IMHO, just type it in manually if it bothers you.
detach8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 AM   #37
Registered Member

RobertV/andyrobo: My issues seems resolved with the latest update. I will keep testing. (and I have reset my password)
detach8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4OPH View Post
GasBuddy data is unavailable. I tried to get access to that via OPIS but when they bought GasBuddy their prices went sky high and we cannot afford them. Waze data is not publically available either and will be incorporated into Google at some point (since they bought them).

We'd like to find a way to crowdsource the work. We could add a button like not listed and then ask "Are you currently at the station" and take a precise GPS reading so we can have a confirmation of a station. We can then ask for users to submit info of that station (brand, etc) and we'll build our database with time. Waze and GasBuddy already went through this.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:

For now, if you want to track a fuel-up and the location it came from you can use the tag system.
I was confused because the missing gas station was in Google Maps already. However, it was categorized only as a convenience store, which is why it didn't show up in Fuelly. I've corrected that and the station is now an available choice. I had been tracking the station in the notes/tags of my fillups, so it's easy to update them with the correct location now.

Quote:
In an upcoming release we will be adding brand (Shell, Exxon, Esso, etc) so that might help as well. We are also going to be adding Octane, and a couple other fields related to vehicles.
Quote:
GasBuddy data is unavailable. I tried to get access to that via OPIS but when they bought GasBuddy their prices went sky high and we cannot afford them. Waze data is not publically available either and will be incorporated into Google at some point (since they bought them).

We'd like to find a way to crowdsource the work. We could add a button like not listed and then ask "Are you currently at the station" and take a precise GPS reading so we can have a confirmation of a station. We can then ask for users to submit info of that station (brand, etc) and we'll build our database with time. Waze and GasBuddy already went through this.
I appreciate you wanting to build your own database of gas stations. However:

I already find it annoying that Waze is separate from GasBuddy and Google Maps, as it means double or triple the work to update a station or report a price. There is room for improvement with GasBuddy, but they've got a pretty good system set up already. If GasBuddy doesn't make an API readily available, then I guess there's not much that can be done though (I wonder if you could do something with https://m.gasbuddy.com/ if the user was already logged in). But it doesn't help the community as a whole for everyone to make their own database and fragment all the users.

http://www.mygasfeed.com/ looks to be an attempt to start a fairly open database like this. However, it's somewhat new and doesn't seem to have many users. Chicken & egg...

I'm tempted to vote for using Google's database (which users can edit) for station locations tied to your own database of station details. That would make for one central repository of stations that anyone (from a much larger user base than just Fuelly users) can edit, while still allowing you to maintain your own set of details about the station. I have only a tiny bit of programming experience, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be to maintain a linked database like that compared to the benefits of having a single source.

GasBuddy seems to be the standard for gas station info and prices, but maybe it's worth the work of creating a new one if you could give it a good API and actually make it accessible to people. Google generally seems pretty open about these sorts of things, so maybe the effort would be better spent adding gas prices and more detail (I'm sure the Waze data helps) to their existing Maps data. The problem is that you basically have to be totally open about it for it to really be successful, but being open makes it harder to exclusively benefit from it also, so companies are less likely to want to do that.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #40
Registered Member

I'm once again having issues choosing a gas station when filling up. The gas stations are still listed in Google Maps, but I don't get any listing results when trying to pick a station. I've heard people complaining about the latest update to Maps, so perhaps something changed on their end which is breaking the Fuelly functionality?