Tracking MPG versus Average MPH on a per tank basis - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Lightbulb Tracking MPG versus Average MPH on a per tank basis

Vavg versus mpg

I use my on-board computer to track my average speed (Vavg) for each re-fueling. The computer tracks every second that my engine is running (until I reset it). It also calculates my average speed since last reset.

Vavg is just the mileage since last refueing, divided by the hours the engine was running since last re-fueling. It is a much more accurate and refined notion than City versus Highway driving percentage (which is just a guess (a "WAG")

I then plot the coordinates(Vavg, mpg) for each re-fueling, as on the above graph. This one graph tells me whether my driving habits need reviewing or not. As long as I am within the two orange lines, I have done all I can reasonably do to be efficient.

The upper orange line (upper bounds) is derived from just two points - the EPA estimated highway miles/gallon (assumed at at 55mph average speed), and the EPA estimated city miles/gallon (assumed at 20 mph average speed).
The shape of the upper bounds I estimate from my engineering knowledge.

The lower orange line (lower bounds) I just estimate at 10% less than the upper bounds -- which accounts for driving conditions we usually cannot control, such as driving uphill, strong headwinds, outside air temperature, humidity, etc., contaminants in fuels, etc.

I have posted this and some of my engineering analysis on fuel / driving efficiency on my web site at http://www.transcend7.com/fuel_efficiency.htm

DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member

Looks like a lot of effort, but good work. You'd probably like the computer wizardry available on my car (although I don't have it) After every trip, this screen pops up on the 7" touchscreen giving you an "Eco" score. Bit of a novelty, but for stataholics like me I think it's great.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm quite jealous now. But I'd be satisfied if my 1st gen Yaris wouldn't reset the avg. stats every single time I stop the engine

Sometimes I sit through red lights with running engine just to keep the data for the rest of the trip
alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

Vavg versus mpg

I use my on-board computer to track my average speed (Vavg) for each re-fueling. The computer tracks every second that my engine is running (until I reset it). It also calculates my average speed since last reset.

Vavg is just the mileage since last refueing, divided by the hours the engine was running since last re-fueling. It is a much more accurate and refined notion than City versus Highway driving percentage (which is just a guess (a "WAG")

I then plot the coordinates(Vavg, mpg) for each re-fueling, as on the above graph. This one graph tells me whether my driving habits need reviewing or not. As long as I am within the two orange lines, I have done all I can reasonably do to be efficient.

The upper orange line (upper bounds) is derived from just two points - the EPA estimated highway miles/gallon (assumed at at 55mph average speed), and the EPA estimated city miles/gallon (assumed at 20 mph average speed).
The shape of the upper bounds I estimate from my engineering knowledge.

The lower orange line (lower bounds) I just estimate at 10% less than the upper bounds -- which accounts for driving conditions we usually cannot control, such as driving uphill, strong headwinds, outside air temperature, humidity, etc., contaminants in fuels, etc.

I have posted this and some of my engineering analysis on fuel / driving efficiency on my web site at FUEL EFFICIENCY Improving Your Mileage
Nice Website! I agree, I wish fuelly would add tank mph and hours car was running for as another parameter. I always add it as a note to my fuel-ups. I think all newer models have this feature to reset after tanks. I am in sales, work out of the car a lot, and will idle car when writing up paperwork, eating lunch, etc( so I don't sweat, tend to let the car run and use ac during this time frame). It would be good to know this information, the relative effect of idling.

Thanks!

Marc
marcmurgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
efficiency, fuel, mpg, vavg