2013 Hyundai Veloster Re:Mix - 3K mile review - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

I thought I would follow-up my original review with a quick update. Well, the Veloster is history. I traded it in on a new 2013 Nissan Sentra SR with the driver's package and Navigation package. After driving the Veloster for over 9,000 miles in four months, I knew I could not live with this car for 4-5 years. My reasons are listed below.
1.) Terrible handling on any road surface that wasn't perfectly smooth. I took one curve at ten mph above the posted speed limit and midway through, there was a slight dip. I nearly went completely sideways. I've taken that curve in Jeeps, a Durango, Volvo 240 and 850 wagons and NOT ONE vehicle ever reacted like that. I see potential law suits against Hyundai in the future. I hope I'm wrong but I see future grieving mothers and fathers going after Hyundai for poor suspension design. Lord, I hope I'm wrong.
2.) Another case of Hyundai products not meeting the suggested MPG rating. Finally, I started averaging 36 mpg but I had to drive like a 80 year old nanny.
3.) The twin clutch automatic - what a joke!!! On the smallest of inclines, the car changes gears like I just stomped the gas after pulling in front of a speeding train! Worst transmission in any car I've ever owned!!!
4.) One hour in the driver's seat left my lower back and hips in pain. Darn cushion material is thin and poorly formed. Hyundai needs to look at creature comfort improvements.
Sorry for the long update but I have to be fair. I gave Hyundai a chance and used my money in the process. What is that old saying? "Fool me once..." There won't be a second chance Hyundai!

MaximumMiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumMiler View Post
1.) Terrible handling
Wow, what tires did the Veloster come with from the factory?
Quote:
3.) The twin clutch automatic - what a joke!!!
Was it worse than a conventional automatic? I hate most auto equipped 4 bangers as most over downshift on inclines.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopitup View Post
Wow, what tires did the Veloster come with from the factory?
Was it worse than a conventional automatic? I hate most auto equipped 4 bangers as most over downshift on inclines.
I believe the tires were Kumho (sp) but that wasn't the issue with the handling. The rear suspension is some type of twisted beam design (I think) and when it is suddenly unloaded, i.e. a dip in the road; it reacts by trying to untwist itself. BTW - I am no engineer so I can't make these statements as facts. I only reported how the suspension reacted and that I nearly lost control of the car. Gummy racing tires wouldn't make that car handle any better.
The automatic, it was the gear ratios, I guess. You could shift it manually and that was neat but on the open road (Highway) and in automatic mode, it would constantly downshift if the road wasn't level. There are portions of my commute that has some pretty serious hills. There are two of those that saw the V's tranny downshift all the way down to 3rd gear!!! MPGs would drop all the way down to 26. If I drove in manual mode, like a granny and downshifted prior to the hills...ah heck, it was crazy.
The same drive in the Sentra SR with it's CVT transmission (that all the magazines hate) butter smooth and on those same steep hills, RPMs never climb above 3,100 rpms. The MPGs never dropped below 38.8. My first tank was 35.9 MPGs and I am really amazed. Cheers!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe the tires were Kumho (sp) but that wasn't the issue with the handling. The rear suspension is some type of twisted beam design (I think) and when it is suddenly unloaded, i.e. a dip in the road; it reacts by trying to untwist itself. BTW - I am no engineer so I can't make these statements as facts. I only reported how the suspension reacted and that I nearly lost control of the car. Gummy racing tires wouldn't make that car handle any better.
The automatic, it was the gear ratios, I guess. You could shift it manually and that was neat but on the open road (Highway) and in automatic mode, it would constantly downshift if the road wasn't level. There are portions of my commute that has some pretty serious hills. There are two of those that saw the V's tranny downshift all the way down to 3rd gear!!! MPGs would drop all the way down to 26. If I drove in manual mode, like a granny and downshifted prior to the hills...ah heck, it was crazy.
The same drive in the Sentra SR with it's CVT transmission (that all the magazines hate) butter smooth and on those same steep hills, RPMs never climb above 3,100 rpms. The highway via the in-dash commuter, MPGs never dropped below 38.8. My first tank was 35.9 MPGs when I did the math at the pump and I am really amazed. Cheers!
Just fixing a few spelling errors.