New to Fuelly and iPhone - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

New to Fuelly and iPhone

I switched from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to an iPhone 5S last week. On my SGS3 I used aCar to track my fuel consumption and maintenance of my vehicles. Just before the switch, aCar got an update mentioning it was now part of Fuelly. This made the logical thing to do to register here and look for an iPhone app in which I could import all my aCar data.

Apparantly GasTracker+ isn't available in the Netherlands, but with some effort I obtained it anyway. I hope it will be available in the future though... I als installed Gas Cubby Free.

Neither app has import function, so I decided to use the mobile website for now and follow the progress of development on Gas Cubby, which seems to be the soon-to-be official Fuelly app for iOS. I hope it will be as good and extensive as aCar is.

A little more about me: I'm a 36 year old male living in the Netherlands. I drive around 45000 km a year in my 2006 Renault Laguna. This car is mainly used for traveling from home to work and back and trips to family around the country.

Apart from the car my wife and I own two motorcycles, a 1995 Honda VFR 750F (mine) and a 2001 Suzuki SV 650 (my wife's). Both bikes aren't used as much as we want, but they bring a lot of fun while riding so we'll keep them anyway . A few weeks back we made our first camping trip by motorcycle, hence the luggage on my profile pictures....

Gwystyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forums and thanks for being a Fuelly driver. Being able to ride with your wife sounds like a very fun/special way to enjoy some adventures together!

It sounds like you understand where we are going quite well. We'll have feature parity across the board from Android >> iOS >> Web. A big effort to get everything integrated is front loaded some once we have the pieces together we will be able to iterate much faster.

We'll send out email updates as the apps are released. If you ever have any ideas, comments, concerns, questions, etc. please post them here and we'll get them handled.

Thanks for being a Fuelly driver!

andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

A camping trip is always fun, and what's even better was riding together with my wife and in a new area.

Because I made the switch from Android to iOS very recently, I am looking for and trying all kinds of alternatives for the apps I used on Android. Since aCar isn't available for iOS but I read the announcement that it was now part of the Fuelly family, I decided to try the Fuelly clients. So far both GasTracker+ and Gas Cubby miss a lot of features I enjoyed in aCar, but I'm confident you will try to pick the best out of aCar and Gas Cubby and make it into one nice app for both iOS and Android. Until any (beta) versions are available, I will probably use the mobile site to keep track of my fuel consumption.

For now my only comment is GasTracker+. I downloaded it from the US AppStore, but I use it in the Netherlands. Altough the mileage is displayed, Total Distance Tracked isn't, and prices in "Notes" are in $. On the website there's no option $/€, so it would be a nice feature if you can set that (or make it part of metric/UK unit choices)

What I really like in aCar is the possibility to search for gas stations near you, which is usefull if you enter your fill-up immediately after you filled up. Also remembering them so it can be chosen from a drop down list. Some other features I think you should consider putting in the iOS app:
  • Calculate price/liter or total price automatically when the other is entered
  • lots of stats, graphs and predictions
  • Reminder settings for service
  • A lot of options in maintenance section (like A/C check, brakes, tires etc.)
  • Export/backup to the cloud (dropbox, box, onedrive) next to uploading to fuelly.com
  • Automatic backups (probably unnecessary since all records stay on fuelly.com?)
  • Board computer values for trip, average speed, fuel consumption, amount of fuel used (possibly with deviation from real values)

When I come up with more suggestions I'll post them in the proper topic if I can find it. I think further development will be in the Gas Cubby topic, or will there be a topic especially for the official Fuelly iOS app?

For the web version I think "Notes" isn't very easy on the eye. I see a large part of my screen used for very little information. I think it would be more clear if there was an "Expenses" or "Repair/Maintenance" section with a table overview, or maybe a combination with fuelups like Spritmonitor.de uses (here's a link to my Laguna entries over there)
Gwystyl is offline   Reply With Quote