Hypermiling a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel to 38MPG - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Multiple vehicles isn't practical for everyone, and neither is a trailer. Still, a lot of folks would be wholly better off with something much more efficient than what they chose for the sole purpose of image.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Because limited parking, insurance rates, additional maintenance work or any other reason could mean owning multiple vehicles impracticable. A fuel miser car won't save much on gas if it is parked because the truck does see a lot of use.
This is all true for some people, but I feel such situations are not that common, at least around here. I believe the other extreme is more common: people spend a huge amount of money on a fancy new full size truck, and the only things that the bed is used for would fit in a car's trunk. From people I know who fit this generalized group; it's entity an image thing, they think men who drive Prius are all wimpy.

Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerryrigger View Post
This is all true for some people, but I feel such situations are not that common, at least around here. I believe the other extreme is more common: people spend a huge amount of money on a fancy new full size truck, and the only things that the bed is used for would fit in a car's trunk. From people I know who fit this generalized group; it's entity an image thing, they think men who drive Prius are all wimpy.
Those types would probably just end up getting some guzzling performance model as the second car.

I do know fro experience that holding onto a Ranger for occasional truck duties wasn't worth it. The lack of use lead to the caliper pin grease drying up, and eventual warped rotors. That and the cost of insurance, inspection, and registration would covered the truck rental or delivery fees for the times it was actually needed.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Those types would probably just end up getting some guzzling performance model as the second car.

I do know fro experience that holding onto a Ranger for occasional truck duties wasn't worth it. The lack of use lead to the caliper pin grease drying up, and eventual warped rotors. That and the cost of insurance, inspection, and registration would covered the truck rental or delivery fees for the times it was actually needed.
I've got an old Toyota truck rotting in my yard while I pay insurance on it, I know the feeling...but mine won't pass inspection.
Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
people spend a huge amount of money on a fancy new full size truck, and the only things that the bed is used for would fit in a car's trunk. From people I know who fit this generalized group; it's entity an image thing, they think men who drive Prius are all wimpy.
Some Prius drivers may in fact be wimpy, but better that than getting a big truck just to be macho. And we all know what they say about those who try so hard to impress others with those big trucks . . . . . . .

Old 05-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

On that subject, when I go to the US i'm always surprised just how wasteful most Americans are. 90% of the cars I saw had 1 person in, and the majority had huge engines 2.0 litre, 3.0 litre. 4.0 litre and more. The "HP per person" or "engine capacity per person" must be shocking!

I always try and save resources, my old car had a 700cc engine with 26 HP, but it still carried 4 people with ease, which equates to just over 6 hp per person, that's really all you need to move 1 person!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
I've got an old Toyota truck rotting in my yard while I pay insurance on it, I know the feeling...but mine won't pass inspection.
Count me as another truck rotting in the yard while I pay too dang much insurance. I've had mine since it was brand new. It's 12 years old with 217,000 miles and when I drove it daily it was fine, but rust has been attacking it fiercely in the years that it has been parked.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

I was just using my truck last week, and I'm pleased to report that it still runs/drives/looks great. I'm still paying insurance on the Buick though, and haven't driven it much in the past couple years.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote