100 mpg virago 250 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

100 mpg virago 250

When I 1st got my bike it had bin sit n & wouldn't idle . I bought a can of SEAFOAM & disconnected the fuel line from d gas tank , cranked d bike & ran it till it run out a fuel . Then I filled the carb full a SEAFOAM thru the carb fuel line . Let it sit overnite, took my air hose , blew air n2 d fuel line , reconnected fuel line , cranked bike ( it smoked 4 a bit & ran rough till smoke cleared then it smoothed out ) the bike cranked , ran good, & IDLED now ! Didn't hav 2 take carb off or rebuild . I haven't ever even touched or adjusted carb . Since I drilled 3 one inch holes n bottom of air filter cover , d bike is not cold natured now, I never use d choke , just crank & go ! U can c more bike details on "new guy n sc "thread

Rider of d storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

u can c more bike details on "NEW GUY N SC" thread

Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Nice work! I've done similar mods to my 2005 Ninja 250 and had good results ( see Aerotrunk thread). I also have a fully streamlined Ninja 250 that I have gotten a best tankfill of 146mpg. Aerodynamic improvements and taller gearing work wonders on motorcycles. Keep up the good work!
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

OP hurt my brain while reading it. Nice modifications though!
LukasB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

Interesting concept. You are quite diligent to get that gas mileage. I know that running the bike differently (coasting etc etc) you can achieve much better mileage plus the mods you have made. But that is not always easy to do. Just running my bike normally I get 76 mpg US and the savings to getting to 100 mpg US would be a toss up to how much am I actually saving paying attention to saving fuel riding to how much am I tuned in to my surroundings attentiveness. I live in the mountains so my mileage would never get to that same point I don't think. Good inventiveness on your part though. Cheers
Alongtheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

Cool bike. It kinda reminds me of this...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

100 mpg virago update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider of d storm View Post
u can c more bike details on "NEW GUY N SC" thread
I now have 48,000+ miles on my xv virago 250 , I named it "smiles " Because People smile when they see it , and I smile at the gas pump . I completely forgot about this thread till I stumbled on it again and saw my bike was still on here . I use "smiles " as an everyday commuter, I use it to work out of ( I do home remodeling) go to the grocery store, or for weekend trips to the mountains. Most all the miles ridden, except for work , has been two up , as the wife and I ride it all most everywhere together. It has averaged in the low 90 's Mpgs riding in real world gas and go traffic. Since it's gotten more miles on it , the Mpgs have dropped from the low 100's to the low 90's . The carburator probably needs some attention, still runs fine , but a little on the rich side , and is probably why the loss in Mpgs . I still haven't touched the carburator or tried to adjust it . The shade tree aerodynamics I did really works , as I have no problems riding with bigger bikes . My grandson has a 650 v star , and I have no problems running with him . We rode the other day , and at the end of the day my bike stayed right with his , except in The curves where my bike handles far better than his ( my bike is 200lbs lighter)and his bike got 46 mpg , mine got 94 ! When the gas was almost $4 a gallon, by riding "smiles " to work as much as possible instead of my 13 mpg work van , I saved just over $6000 in gas money!
Old 10-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
E1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider of d storm View Post
I now have 48,000+ miles on my xv virago 250 , I named it "smiles " Because People smile when they see it , and I smile at the gas pump...

The shade tree aerodynamics I did really works , as I have no problems riding with bigger bikes . My grandson has a 650 v star , and I have no problems running with him . We rode the other day , and at the end of the day my bike stayed right with his , except in The curves where my bike handles far better than his ( my bike is 200lbs lighter)and his bike got 46 mpg , mine got 94 !...
I'd like to introduce my green 900cc Ninja to your Smiles sometime. It would be an interesting day of riding, especially when testing out the hypothesis about Smiles keeping up with bigger bikes...in the curves...and at the end of the day. Mine's no Spring chicken either. She has over 109,000 miles on the clock.

But I'm just messing with you. Glad to see you're love for riding.
E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

I guess I should've clarified cruisers vs sport bikes.
I've owned and rode both , comparing the two are like comparing apples and oranges. Smiles being a cruiser I'm really referring to cruisers. Hardly any cruisers can compete with sport bikes in handling and power . Today's sportbikes are off the chain fast . It'd been nice if cruisers had the same power to weight ratio . 600 cc sport bikes putting out around 120 hp while a 600 cc cruiser like my grandsons is putting out a whopping 39 hp and heavier to boot ! In my grandsons words about his bike " but I'm kool looking " !!! Lol !!!

That's a lotta miles on that ninja ! My previous bike was an 800 boulevard, I put 72,000 mile on it in 3 years . Stay safe !