Hypermiling..is it worth it? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #21
Registered Member

If you only extra 2 mpg "hypermiling" in your Festiva, then you're doing it wrong. I increased my Festiva's mileage about 15 mpg with P&G and EOC and a couple of cheap aeromods. I drive only surface roads, and I never let my hypermiling interfere with other drivers or the flow of traffic. I don't coast through stop signs or anything crazy.

On the other hand, if you can maintain 52 mpg without any mods or hypermiling, you're my hero! I'd love to know how you're doing that!

cowmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #22
Registered Member

If you're pulling 52mpg out of a 38mpg-rated car then you are already hypermiling to a pretty advanced degree. The only one who can answer whether squeezing an additional 2mpg out of your commute is worth it is you. I'd still hypermile and take that extra 2mpg, though.

I also disagree that hypermiling puts MORE stress on your car (higher maintainence) than the way most people drive. I'd argue hypermiling will save you maintainence money as well as gas money.

My commute is much more conducive to hypermiling (stop lights, light commute traffic that limits my speeds to 60 or below) and I push my 23MPG combined rated car to 33mpg. Well worth it to me as I do enjoy having something to do and think about while I drive.

campisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

Agreed, doing that well is considered advanced hypermiling in my book. The best part is you seem to be doing it instinctively without even thinking about it.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
Registered Member

I think its worth doing if youre driving the right car or have a car that will give good results. In my old car it was designed to be driven in a Sporty manner, and I felt an bit of a idiot driving it slowly, and even when I did I only got 40 MPG, which isnt good in this day and age.

Now ive changed my car for a super eco diesel, the 88 MPG figure it got in the tests has now become a target, and hopefully each tank will get better and better (currently on 70 MPG for this tank 450 miles in)

I would find it very frustrating driving carefully and still only getting 30 MPG, regardless if thats better than the official figures or not, especialy knowing there are cars out there that will do almost tripple that.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #25
Registered Member

It depends on the vehicle's purpose, Draigflag. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that you are reporting Miles Per (Imperial) Gallon? Still impressive.

I find getting 30-32MPG (US) on my AWD Subaru awesome as I use it for off-road trips and snow trips often. I used to have a Dodge Ram 4X4 pickup for the same purpose that only returned 14mpg and if I drove it as carefully as I could I could push it to only 16mpg! So I'm ecstatic with my measly 30mpg.
campisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #26
Registered Member

Yes i'm in the UK, we use the larger gallon, 4.546 litres. I recently got 95 MPG on a short trip, which works out at low 70's US MPG I think.

I guess it's all the same, you were getting 14 MPG, now you're getting 30 so you've effectively doubled your mileage. I've done the same, I was getting 30 MPG in my old car, now I get mid 60's so I too have doubled my MPG's just by changing cars.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #27
Registered Member

I see you're a photographer. Some beautiful work there.
My wife and I use the Subaru to get into the backcountry for her to take her photographs. Here's a couple shots from our last trip to Southern Utah / Northern Arizona ..

Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #28
Registered Member

Oh thanks yea just a hobby of mine. Thats a pretty impressive landscape, looks like you're driving on Mars!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:53 AM   #29
Registered Member

I've gone from a 16.3 tank average (EPA is 16) to a 26.3 best tank using basic hypermiling techniques. Definitely worth it to me.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #30
Registered Member

Old thread, yadda yadda, I know.

But.

I consider it worth it. My Echo was rated 34 combined on the old EPA, 30 combined on the new (don't quote me on those figures, I'm going off the top of my head here). I regularly pull 40-43mpg depending on the season, and it feels good. According to some metrics, I have saved well over $1000 in fuel in the 3ish years I have driven the car vs. getting only its official fuel economy. Let alone comparing it to the '67 Mustang I formerly drove as my DD. That kind of money adds up! Plus I think there are side benefits to the style of driving, and it has become a nice little hobby of mine.

Jcp385 is offline   Reply With Quote