My Civic VX commuter car build - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #31
Registered Member

Yea its good, close to the economy of a large diesel, or a small gas engine, but not what you'd expect from a fairly old, medium sized gas engine like in the Civic.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Greater mpg is a decent trade off for increased emissions, as there are many benefits to you and our country by using less fuel.
Those numbers are easily done in a VX with working emissions.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Those numbers are easily done in a VX with working emissions.

Looking on Fuelly there is only one 92 civic out of the 64 tracked that can beat that number, I would say his MPG is impressive. 50 MPG is not an easy fuel number to get with that car in normal driving. We are forced to use E10 fuel now which drops mileage and HP some too (maybe 5% or so).

itripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #34
Registered Member

BTW JLK you have my #1 and #2 favorite cars made, the crx and that gen hatchback! I do love my old Insight tho, my #3 fav

itripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itripper View Post
Looking on Fuelly there is only one 92 civic out of the 64 tracked that can beat that number, I would say his MPG is impressive. 50 MPG is not an easy fuel number to get with that car in normal driving. We are forced to use E10 fuel now which drops mileage and HP some too (maybe 5% or so).
Fuelly isn't the only site tracking fuel economy.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage....el=civic&year=

I don't think any VX there is below the high 40's in mpg.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #36
Registered Member

Temperatures here have been dropping to below freezing in the morning and around low 50's during the day but my average MPG's have been increasing.

I have installed a DIY brick edging lip (different than the usual home depot lip) and an EOC ignition cut off switch.

My results show an improvement from 50.2 MPG average per tank up to 50.6 MPG per tank over the last 10 fill ups.

Its starting to look like this car will be parked for the winter pretty soon but I am optimistic that I will be averaging in the high 50's and low 60's by summer

As you can see from the graph I have a pretty steady MPG improvement from June of 2014 until now. mostly based on required mechanical repairs and the use of a new wideband O2 sensor, new tires and EOC

jlk16188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itripper View Post

how fast do you usually drive on the highway? standards

The speed limit on the highway I drive to work is 55 MPH so i usually stay between 50-60 MPH.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Fuelly isn't the only site tracking fuel economy.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage....el=civic&year=

I don't think any VX there is below the high 40's in mpg.
Most of these VX's on ecomodder are modified like crazy compared to those on fuelly. Mine also does not have a VX transmission in it accounting for lost MPG's compared to those with stock drive trains

I do follow most of their mileage posts pretty closely and I noticed almost all of them are much further west or south in the US than I am. I live deep in the Appalachian mountains and have very large elevation changes between my home and work. When I drove my car to Milwaukee I got the best MPG I have ever gotten (56.6 tank average) deep in Indiana where there are no mountain peeks and with bad tired and faulty O2 sensor.

I firmly believe if I lived in the Midwest like most of the folks on ecomodder, I would be averaging 60+ MPG easily.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #39
Registered Member

I installed a simple lip for an air dam hidden behind the factory lip. I went under the assumption that I only need to be ~1" lower than the lowest hanging component on the undercarriage, besides the control arms, this was my exhaust. This lip is very sturdy and hangs 1" lower than the lowest exhaust component.

I also installed a kill switch into my 2000 civic center console over the weekend

Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #40
Registered Member

Whilst you're playing with aerodynamics, depending on what the law says, you could perhaps remove one door mirror, or fit small ones. Would you go to the extreme of taping the bonnet shut lines for longer journeys? Always seems a cheap, easy and quick way of diverting air over the car and is popular with hyper milers.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote