Greetings! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings!

Hello everyone,

After living in the city and riding public transportation for almost a decade, my husband and I moved to the country and picked up a car for my commute and running errands. I have a very good friend who is a hypermiler and when I asked for mileage advice, he pointed me here. I'm not tracking information for my husband's 1998 S10, but we do maintain it well and get excellent mileage out of it. He's definitely not complaining about me becoming the primary driver, though!

I've always maintained my own vehicles and I intend to do the same with my third little Cavalier (2003). Purchased at about 126k miles, I'm going to have plenty of opportunity to get back into the swing of regular maintenance and repair. I've already replaced the bearings/hub assemblies and identified next items on the priority list. I feel pretty fortunate to havea guy who supports me in this kind of thing (not that I'd have accepted anything less!). My long break in driving also makes it very easy to build more efficient habits. So far, I think my favorite thing about it is laughing at everyone jockeying and racing about during my 20 minute (mostly city) commute.

I've talked with my friend, read plenty, and picked up the basics when it comes to being the most efficient driver I can be. We're going through the mechanic side of things with a fine toothed comb. I bumped my shift up to avoid rush hour. We're also considering a few mods. We're lucky to have an awesome pro mechanic friend who will look at things and tell us what to fix ourselves, answer questions, loan specialty tools, and who will also be happy to make some tweaks to the computer system. I know there isn't as much I can do to get those really high mpg numbers with an automatic transmission, but I'll take any pointers you might be willing to share.

I don't have any big questions at this point, I just look forward to tracking my usage and taking part here.

KellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

hi friends very excited to join the forum.
haydenlee is offline   Reply With Quote