My T-100 aero cap... - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to BamZipPow
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Not sure how to say this without sounding rude, but i'm gathering you're not the kind of person who cares what others think?
Well...I guess it all depends on how they approach the subject. Fer my aerodynamic mods, I love to see what works and what doesn't fer my truck. It's a former work truck (V6 3.4L auto, ~4100lbs) with over 411,000 miles on it. EPA rated at 16mpg city/19mpg highway/17mpg combined. Still runs just fine and it keeps me busy and entertained. I definitely don't work on it fer other peoples' attention. My mods have saved at least $500 in fuel each year fer the past 6 years (2 years over $700 in fuel savings). That's over $3400 in fuel savings...I bought the truck fer $2200...so my fuel savings have already paid fer my purchase.

The goals I set fer my mods were strictly aerodynamic mods only. No engine or transmission performance mods. No extra holes drilled into the body or frame. I only use existing fastening points or I make my own brackets/methods that can possible withstand the physical abuse of the road. Almost all of my mods have a practical application even though it may not be aesthetically pleasing to others. I can return the truck to full stock in less than an hour.

As far as I know, there hasn't been anyone else who's built a boat tail project off of a swivel wheel trailer before...so that's the venture I'm off on at the moment. I picked this trailer up fer $100...it used to retail fer $1500. I'm gonna see what my mods will turn up on my upcoming road trip. Hoping to hit 30mpg at 65mph consistently with the trailer loaded with stuff, wife, and kid.

So to answer yer question...not really bothered by other peoples' opinions based on looks.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #42
Registered Member

Wink

New gap covers in place...time to go fer a shake down run.

There were a few people that had to speed up to see what the deal was with my truck. I think it was puzzling to them how I was able to tow a trailer but there wasn't any clear way on how the trailer would make it around turns.

You can see my front access doors open to allow me to cover the cab with my custom cab cover. Makes it pretty easy to keep the cab cool or git some privacy at rest stops. The cab cover performed brilliantly during a few ice/snow storms here in Texas. The access covers also keeps the rain off of the cab's rear window.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #43
Registered Member

Adding in some shocks (this is only a test with used gas shocks) to see if it will dampen the road oscillations being transmitted to the truck from the bumps in the road. So far it's working out fine on my first road test.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #44
Registered Member

Air shocks have replaced the gas shocks...currently running 100psi in the air shocks. The body has been rebuilt with a plan taper. Air bag suspension installed on the single wheel...currently running 95psi in the air bag.

Current rear shot. LED lights have been low profiled. Upper clear gap cover is still being rebuilt.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #45
Registered Member

Current hitch setup...
Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #46
Registered Member

Hi are you still talking on this ?
I have a question has anybody tried like 0/40 oil in a differential of a pickup?
I pull behind an RV and when I stop the differential is warm
gassless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #47
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassless View Post
Hi are you still talking on this ?
I have a question has anybody tried like 0/40 oil in a differential of a pickup?
I pull behind an RV and when I stop the differential is warm
Although off topic of the thread, using motor oil in place of gear oil would be a bad idea in normal conditions as the properties of motor oil has a lower shear strength compared to gear oil. In extreme cold areas, you could probably see some better performance switching out the oils. Also, the quantity of oil as well as the cooling capabilities are limited so motor oil would "thin" out. BTW, do you have a method of measuring the temperature of yer differential when yer pulling yer RV? It would give you a better idea of the temps yer running underneath there.

Here's a quick read fer yah...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #48
Registered Member

Wink

Cut down the trailer's front access doors so it would be easier to git access to the back of the truck as well as performing visual checks.

Chains are now over the cross bar. I'll have to install some wear protection on the crossbar to prevent the chains from wearing into the crossbar and possibly weakening it. You can also see the white lower gap cover between the rear diffuser and the trailer front chin pan. This completes the full length belly pan from the nose all the way back to the wheel pivot point on the trailer.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #49
Registered Member

Wink

Revamped the aero cap again (7th iteration) by rebuilding the panels.

This is what most drivers see when they approach my rig from behind.

Rear view...

Left rear quarter view...most like the piccie that gits shot the most.

I might pull in the rear of the canopy inwards a little by looking at the piccie.

Last run out to the West coast and back yielded an overall average of 26.86mpg. Best tank mileage was 31.06mpg at 65mph from El Paso TX to Junction TX. Kept the trailer attached when I was running errands in town so that killed the mileage.

Previous trip out to the West coast about 5 years ago yielded 23.3mpg at 65mph. Best tank mileage was 28.24mpg at 60mph from Ft Stockton to San Antonio. Didn't have a whole lot of aerodynamic mods on the truck back then.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #50
Registered Member

Talking

Current views...