bad mpg - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agraham52 View Post
That's why I like to buy used. The depreciation is typically less and registration and insurance or almost squat. Over here registration is based on a vehicles cost when new. Figure my 02 sierra was probably around $15-20k when new. Compare to the same "new" truck, I make out better there. Insurance for it is almost nothing too. Iv owned for 3 years, paid 3k for it and have just liability. Which is around 600 a year (my plan also includes two motorhomes). The way I see it is if I get in an accident the truck is pretty much throw away obviously depending on the amount of repairs. Either the other persons insurance will cover the cost or I'll repair what needs repairing to keep it on the road.
Registration fees vary from state to state. Pennsylvania and New Jersey have flat rates based on the vehicle's class. A truck's fee will be higher than a car's, which is $36 in Pa, because of the weight difference, supposedly. Giant SUVs are station wagons and thus cars according to Pa.
Quote:
sounds like the pollution tax is just a way to keep people in new cars
That's basically how it works in Japan.

An issue for the US car market is that an obsession for power developed. Technological advances went to power instead of fuel efficiency. A truck might get the same fuel economy today as one from 20 years ago, but it is faster and can haul more. The current family sedans are as fast as the iconic pony cars of the past.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

In Virginia the registration fee is based on vehicle class. Light duty trucks, SUV's, and vans are all lumped in with passenger vehicles.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #43
Registered Member

Registration fees based on vehicle value are actually a property tax that can be taken as a deduction on federal income taxes.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote