Geo Location please - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Talking Geo Location please

We all share the same goal, saving money on gas, being "greener".

Some gas at some stations give me consistently low mileage numbers.

I would love it if GasTracker can provide a Geo Location function.

This will help us identify/report gas stations that consistently sell bad gas.

donmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmontalvo View Post
We all share the same goal, saving money on gas, being "greener".

Some gas at some stations give me consistently low mileage numbers.

I would love it if GasTracker can provide a Geo Location function.

This will help us identify/report gas stations that consistently sell bad gas.

Thanks for the post. Yes, we are actively working on this area right now in development.

There are certainly a variety of considerations when adding more location-based data so we're taking our time to ensure we are covering all the bases and giving folks the opportunity to provide this data if desired and in a way that still protects the user's privacy.

If there are any specific use cases you'd love to see covered (beyond what you noted above) we'd love to hear about them. Feel free to reply back here or message me directly via Fuelly Mail.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

+1 on location data.

Give us an account-level preference to hide all location data. Heck, give us a preference to hide all data. I didn't realize before tonight that my data is available to all and I am seriously considering deleting my account as a result.
mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoner View Post
+1 on location data.

Give us an account-level preference to hide all location data. Heck, give us a preference to hide all data. I didn't realize before tonight that my data is available to all and I am seriously considering deleting my account as a result.
Fuelly Driver's location data from fuel-ups is not visible to any other Drivers and never would be without the first opting in to share that information. Currently we aren't using the location data anywhere.

Fuelly Mobile asks if you wish to share your location. You do have the option to opt out. But again, we are currently not using that data.

Fuelly was built on the premise that Fuelly member's vehicles and fill-up data are public:
Can my data be private?
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Good info about Fuelly Mobile. I did not know that. But the topic is related to Fuelly for iOS (GasTracker).

I get the social aspect. And I should have read the terms. But who reads those, anyway?
mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
Registered Member

Since we capture the fuel prices as well, we could then use that info to help people find cheaper gas thru crowd sourcing, like GasBuddy does. Otherwise, it'd be good to integrate GasBuddy data into Fuelly.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

+1 to nielsm idea.

It would be awesome if you could somehow partner with GasBuddy and allow our prices to import into them, but I could see GasBuddy not wanting to play along with that.

It would be great too, if you could possibly source Yelp or Foursquare data so I could check in or at least choose the location I'm at and tag it in my fuel ups. If not, perhaps add locations as users create them. You could then, in turn, keep a running record of fuel prices to compare against each other, even if they aren't live, you could get a good idea of which gas stations are generally cheaper than others.

(although I'd suggest against 4Square as it seems their goal has shifted 180 degrees and they no longer care about their user base, but they do have good data points for the time being, until they ultimately implode and shut down)
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

+1 on geolocation data when recording a fillup, although lat/long coordinates without a gas station name, may not be most useful.

I'm not sure about integrating with Gas Buddy. Waze added gas reporting integration and it just doesn't work well. The Fuelly apps sweet spots are recording personal auto events (fillups, service, etc.). Waze is a GPS/traffic tracker. Gas Buddy is for recording gas prices (independent of these other auto functions) IMHO. Each seems to be best at what they do, with only a bit of overlap.

looking4OPH is offline   Reply With Quote