1994 Vx On Strike Or Choked On V8 Fumes - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

1994 Vx On Strike Or Choked On V8 Fumes

Hello all, my 94 vx decided to die on me (ecu stroke due to all the DUB SUV's being back on the road?) and I am pretty sure it is the ecu. (I have a brand new distrib. check engine light stays on even after fuel pump prime clicks off- no trouble codes when jumping connector, CEL just stays lit)
1) are the P07 A00 and the P07 A01 ecu's really interchangeable? (I have a
A01 but it seems the A00's are easier to come by)

2)My friend has a CA version with the P07 L02 ECU.. would my car run with that ecu, just to make sure my ecu is bad before buying another one?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

1994hondavx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I have a California ECU in Tennessee that I can ship to you if you want to try it out. You just have to pay shipping. Let me know.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994hondavx View Post
1) are the P07 A00 and the P07 A01 ecu's really interchangeable? (I have a
A01 but it seems the A00's are easier to come by)
While I don't have any experience specific to P07s, the part numbers of other 5th gen Civic ECUs (such as the P28 and P06) differ that way to simply indicate a programming revision. The first letter in that final group of 3 (the A in your case) indicates the regional group, such as the 49 state, california, or high altitude variants. The second number seems to indicate vehicle option-specific variants, such as automatic vs. manual transmissions. As I just said, the final number differentiates ECU revisions within those groupings.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #4

To answer the first question, yes the A00 and A01 are essentially identical. I've run them both in my swap and could not tell a difference in any way. As bobski said, they represent different versions of the software in the ECU, but the changes seem to be minimal. If you check the EPA's website, there is a slight difference in mpg between the two years when Honda made the switch (1993 to 1994), but that may also be due to other changes. I'm guessing on your second question, but I think you would probably get a CEL for the O2 sensor with an L02 version. That one used the 4 wire sensor rather than the 5. Otherwise it should be the same though.
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Check to make sure the ground near the thermostat housing in the engine bay is attached. That is vital for the ECU.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote