I have 1995 VX with nearly 200K miles on it and love how practical it is. It is a CA car and I am having trouble getting through CA smog.
The engine runs great and is stock. Here is the situation:
Fails on high HC. Two years ago, HC was high, but it still passed. All other numbers from two years ago to now match perfectly.
- Tune-up has been done (plugs, air cleaner, engine oil is in good shape, wires are a little old though)
- EGR works correctly
- Can't find a vacuum leak
- Compression is healthy (220 PSI in all cylinders)
- Distributor was replaced only a couple months ago (originally finally died)
- Engine does not burn any notable amount of oil (all Mobile 1 last 80k miles)
- O2 sensor is in good shape
- No exhaust leaks/crack in manifold
- Timing is correct (triple checked)
- Gets great MPG (50 is not unreasonable)
- No CEL
- Suspect cat is original
Right now the mechanic is performing a "diagnostic" to attempt to narrow it down. I suspect it is the cat, because the engine runs like a top and I can't seem to come up with any other issues. They claim they are going to "test" the cat to give me a final word tomorrow.
My question is, if it is the cat, where does one purchase a CA (California) VX cat?
From what I gather, Honda does not make them any longer, CA does not allow remans (as of 2009), I can't add a cat down stream (as of 2009), and no aftermarket companies build one from what I can tell.
Here is a link to Majestic Honda
where the you can see the CA cat, but it isn't available.
I'm open to other suggested solution beyond the cat as well.
Help turn my frown upside down!