49 State to California Vx conversion? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

49 State to California Vx conversion?

Hello,

I'm looking to convert a 49 state Vx to the California version. I'm wondering if anyone has done this or knows how to do it.

Here's the scoop:

I bought a VERY beat up Vx, almost no interior and what there is smells like the worst BO ever!! Every exterior panel has damage. However the engine runs well, 311K miles on the odometer, and it's a 49 state version.

I plan on harvesting the ECU/O2 sensor and swapping in my California ECU/O2 sensor in order to keep the engine running and the car drivable. The check engine light is also on and the previous owner said it won't pass emissions. I hoping by removing "lean burn" the car might have a chance to pass. Also, I'm thinking the 5-wire O2 sensor may be going bad so swapping in the 4-wire O2 would save me money as well.

Any thoughts, suggestions or assistants on doing the conversion?

Thanks,

ZO.

DOFZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Luckily I never bought the '94 (Cali car)! Took it in to get an oil change before driving it 1000 miles home and was told everything underneath the car leaked! EVERYTHING! The suspension was shot and the body wasn't really in that good of a condition. The "dealer" let me bring it back, just charging me a small restocking fee! I'd have paid much more to rid myself of that potential nightmare.

A few weeks later I found a very nice '92 (Federal) for a $1,000 less than the '94. Granted the pilot shaft bearing was going out and the owner told me the timing belt would need to be replaced soon, but the car was worth the investment. No rust! No oil leaks! Clean interior! For 21 years old, I was very impressed.

I am however in the process of "modifying" the car. New aftermarket bushings, struts and springs. I will be doing the rear disc brake conversion as well.

I look forward to years of enjoying the car and the gas mileage.

As a side note, I still have the '95 junker/parts car. The car is trashed, but the Z1 still runs. Maybe someday swap it into a sedan eg? Who knows.

ZO.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

In case you're interested, I recently just converted the O2 5-wire(federal) into a 4-wire(Cali) so I have the wiring diagrams and the know-how.

Let me know.
windraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windraver View Post
In case you're interested, I recently just converted the O2 5-wire(federal) into a 4-wire(Cali) so I have the wiring diagrams and the know-how.

Let me know.
Thanks, but I have no need to convert any VX any longer. I bought a Federal version and ended up scraping the other Federal version.

I appreciate your offer to help.

ZO.