94 Accord manual trans swap- which trans has the tallest gears? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

94 Accord manual trans swap- which trans has the tallest gears?

I have a 94 Accord (with 2.2 liter non VTEC) as a "spare" car. It has an auto transmission that has an intermittent problem with not going into 4th gear as well as 1 bad half shaft.

I am considering converting it to a manual trans but I'd like to know from which Honda's can I get a manual trans that will fit this 94 Accord 2.2 liter and which models had the best (tallest) gearing?

One more question- will I run in to ECU problems since I believe that this ECU controls trans shift points, ie. When I unplug the auto trans, will the computer then stay in open loop mode?

Anyone out there with a 5 speed mid 90's Accord and if so, what kind of FE do you get?

I'm thinking that I'd need to see 35-37mpg for this swap to be worth it. Most driving would be on the interstate at 60-65 mph.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

I believe that you can use ANY 1990-1997 Accord or 1992-1995 Prelude manual transmission. Generally speaking, though, the Prelude transmissions are going to have shorter gearing than the Accord transmissions, though. However, taller gearing does not always translate to better fuel economy. On the other hand, the manual Accord transmissions are quite common and easy to find. You can probably pick one up for a song at a Pick-A-Part type junkyard. Just keep in mind that you will also need the clutch, flywheel, pedal cluster, master cylinder, hydraulic lines, etc. But it is DEFINITELY doable. You will also need to get a manual transmission ECU so that you won't have issues with the ECU. It will just plug in, though.

As for the mileage you will see, this is hard to say. Generally speaking NO Accord is going to get 35-37MPG. At least not if you drive it like everybody else. However, a manual transmission swap can DEFINITELY make the car more enjoyable to drive. And on Hondas, swapping to a manual transmission will DEFINITELY wake the car up quite a bit - you will notice a decent increase in pep. So even if you don't end up reaching your mileage goal, swapping to a manual transmission is not without its benefits.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the info- I'll check my local pull-a-part's price list and add up all of those parts to see what $ I can do it for. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy another ECU, but if I have to, I will.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote