94 Civic (VX) Expensive Red Paint - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

94 Civic (VX) Expensive Red Paint

In the spring I checked into having my 94 red VX painted at the local high school shop. The shop teacher commented that the red paint was much more expensive than other colors. I don't recall what price he quoted. Have others found this to be the case? What should I expect to pay for 1-gal? How much paint does it typically take to paint the entire exterior of a hatchback. thanks.

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

WOW! I never knew that red paint was more expensive than other colors (my research showed that white was the cheapest). I went to the first website that came up when I googled red car paint, per gallon it was about $70. This was for Acrylic Enamel. It may vary with other types of paint. White was about $45, Black about $50. Green, blue and orange were $60.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Some red paint has gold in it. I don't know if the Civic paint does. If so, it may explain some of the cost difference.

The non-metallic pearl white paint on 2008+ V6 Honda Accords is much more expensive than any other color used on the cars, including the taffeta white used on 4-cylinder Accords. The pearl white came out a month or two after the other colors, and Honda dealerships were not sure if Honda was going to charge extra for that color of paint until a couple of weeks before the cars hit the showrooms.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

The factory color code is a Tri Coat paint. Base coat, Clear and tinted clear. I'm trying to find a suitable/close base/clear option at the moment for my own vx project.
hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Used single stage Nason paint on my VX, looks fine almost 2 years and 22k miles later.

Red is generally the most expensive paint, unless you get into the ecxotic stuff, which can run you thousands per gallon.

regards
Gary
Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

my body shop teachers used to say that red uses more pigments to make up the color than most. the milano red on civic turns pink through the years because of the pearl in it from what i heard.
jmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

My VX was kind of pink when I bought it. I touched up the body with 3M rubbing compound, then used the McQuire's 3-stage stuff on it (paint cleaner, polish, and wax). It turned out looking good (see pics of Red Round).

The clear coat is now peeling off my front bumper. I will need it repainted. I'll probably take it off the car and take it to Maaco when I have the money.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

i did a little paint job on my own 94 civic a couple of weeks back and found that red was a bit more expensive. however overall it is better as i found that you might have to take care of maintenance for other colors a bit more. just my experience.
eric76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

Re: 94 Civic (VX) Expensive Red Paint

I am an auto body technician and yes red and yellow color paints are usually more expensive. The pigments are just harder to come by.

klipsch21 is offline   Reply With Quote