A Belgian member needs help for a little problem (Civic Vx, D15Z1 engine). - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
*shrug*

At that RPM could the lag perhaps be the VTEC kicking in?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Do you have NGK ZFR4F-11 spark plugs readily available? If you do, swap those into your car and see if the hesitation is reduced then.

I'll have to watch the video to see the response time of the LAF as I cannot watch Youtube videos at work.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
At that RPM could the lag perhaps be the VTEC kicking in?
At that RPM, yes it would be possible but I don?t think so.

Look this video :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTz8jA7fWM

(It is a climb). I push slowly on the pedal but the car doesn't accelerate, there are some small hesitations. Suddenly, with the same constant pressure, the car accelerates faster.
And no VTEC at that RPM (12 valves).

Quote:
Do you have NGK ZFR4F-11 spark plugs readily available? If you do, swap those into your car and see if the hesitation is reduced then.
I don?t know, this is normaly not the good spark plugs for Civic VEi. I always had ZFR5F-11 and no problem before.
I think that the spark will be better with ZFR4F-11, perhaps less hesitations, but the heat will be too high (bad for the engine).

And sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what I want to say lol
VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEI View Post
At that RPM, yes it would be possible but I don?t think so.

Look this video :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTz8jA7fWM

(It is a climb). I push slowly on the pedal but the car doesn't accelerate, there are some small hesitations. Suddenly, with the same constant pressure, the car accelerates faster.
And no VTEC at that RPM (12 valves).
That is the motor coming out of "Lean Burn" mode....looked pretty normal and a decent response time of the LAF to me.

Quote:
I don?t know, this is normally not the good spark plugs for Civic VEi. I always had ZFR5F-11 and no problem before.
I think that the spark will be better with ZFR4F-11, perhaps less hesitations, but the heat will be too high (bad for the engine).
Does your motor have a sticker on the top timing belt cover that shows the recommended plugs?
Like this (picture from my d15z1):

The lean burn really needs a hot plug to ignite the lean mixture well.

Quote:
And sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what I want to say lol
Your English is very good! And your use of Youtube is a great help as well. Keep it up.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
That is the motor coming out of "Lean Burn" mode....looked pretty normal and a decent response time of the LAF to me.
I don't understand why I have 1.3V in acceleration (low RPM, low load) and 1.1v in deceleration.
Normaly there are no injection in deceleration...

I think 1.3v is perhaps too much. I push the accelerator, so more air intake, but the car doesn't accelerate (like no more injection). I don't know if it's normal during "lean burn".

When I have bought my car, i haven't this problem.

-------------------------------

What is the english word for "air/fuel"? Is it "mixture"?

This can be rich or (???) What is the correct word : "poor" or "lean"?

Quote:
Does your motor have a sticker on the top timing belt cover that shows the recommended plugs?
Yes.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't understand why I have 1.3V in acceleration (low RPM, low load) and 1.1v in deceleration.
Normaly there are no injection in deceleration...
Upon looking over my lean burn thread, 1.1V on deceleration is a bit strange. One possibility maybe be a leaking injector, or having a high electrical load.

Quote:
I think 1.3v is perhaps too much. I push the accelerator, so more air intake, but the car doesn't accelerate (like no more injection). I don't know if it's normal during "lean burn".

When I have bought my car, i haven't this problem.
1.3V is normal "rich" for acceleration. I have seen it as high as 1.4V.

Are your driving habits the same as when you first had the car? How many kilometers were on the car when you bought it?

Quote:
What is the english word for "air/fuel"? Is it "mixture"?

This can be rich or (???) What is the correct word : "poor" or "lean"?
In English, we use the phrase "air/fuel mixture" or "air/fuel ratio". It can be rich, stoich, or lean.

Quote:
Yes.
That is interesting that it suggests the ZFR5F-11 plugs on the sticker.

Could you please post the numbers on the side of your ECU for us as well? I am interested to see if the ECU version is different than the US model.

Thanks!

Quote:
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
As I understand it, that middle number is the heat value of the spark plug. Hotter plugs have a deeper well around the center electrode, reducing heat dissipation to the cylinder head which results in a hotter center electrode.
A hotter plug shouldn't cause the engine to overheat, though it's possible it could cause pinging. What's the typical octane rating of gasoline in Belgium?
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #18
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
Are your driving habits the same as when you first had the car? How many kilometers were on the car when you bought it?
66000km

Now : more highway.
But I doesn't have problems on highway because the engine is running at 4000RPM (short gearbox now).

Quote:
Could you please post the numbers on the side of your ECU for us as well? I am interested to see if the ECU version is different than the US model.
The Honda reference for my car is : 37820-P07-G02. Is it this number that you want?

Quote:
As I understand it, that middle number is the heat value of the spark plug. Hotter plugs have a deeper well around the center electrode, reducing heat dissipation to the cylinder head which results in a hotter center electrode.
A hotter plug shouldn't cause the engine to overheat, though it's possible it could cause pinging.
Yes, that's right.
Hotter sparkplugs : can perforate a piston.
Colder sparkplugs : fouling of the spark plug, bad ignition.

Quote:
What's the typical octane rating of gasoline in Belgium?
95 or 98.
For my car : 95.
What is the ocatne rating in US?

My sparkplugs, last month :

That seems me too white.
Before, they were more gray.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #19
Registered Member

plugs look good! It's a lean burn engine remember.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Hotter sparkplugs : can perforate a piston.
I kinda doubt that, but I don't blame you for being cautious. You would have to be running lean under high load to get the piston hot enough to melt. Detonation can break the ringlands off the piston or occationally punch a hole in it, but that generally only happens with cars running aftermarket forced-induction (supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous) systems.

Quote:
95 or 98.
For my car : 95.
What is the ocatne rating in US?
87, 89 and 91 are most common, but as high as 95 can be found at some stations.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote