After 17 years will the VTEC-e just start working? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question After 17 years will the VTEC-e just start working?

I just purchased a 1992 California version one owner Civic VX. The is completely stock and was properly maintained with records. I pulled the CA ecu and replaced it with the P07-A00 Fed version, the car has the oem five wire o2 sensor already mounted as did most (all?) '92 CA VX's.

My question is after 214,000 miles and 17 years - is it reasonable to expect that the VTEC-e will activate the valves properly? Do any of you who know this engine well have reason to believe that engine deposits or other consideration could compromise the VTEC-e function after being idle for so long? Any real experience or insight?

SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

the valves may work fine like they did from day one. i suggest (and i'm no mech.) but i would get like a complete fuel line cleaner. the stuff u run the engine off of. not the pour into your gas tank kind. that should clean all dirt, grime and what not out of the engine. but i could be wrong.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Fuel already has some cleaners in it, and ethanol that is now added to most gas is a great cleaner in itself. Unless the car been sitting for a few years, I don't think you'll need fuel cleaner.

If it's not broken, fixing it can do more harm then good. Concentrated cleaners can dissolve gaskets and rubber parts just as well as they do grime - speaking from a recent experience.

Ross
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoupe View Post
[snip]
My question is after 214,000 miles and 17 years - is it reasonable to expect that the VTEC-e will activate the valves properly? Do any of you who know this engine well have reason to believe that engine deposits or other consideration could compromise the VTEC-e function after being idle for so long? Any real experience or insight?
The VTEC-E/VTEC (i.e. the variable valve timing part) is operated by hydraulic pressure from the oil system which varies based upon engine speed, load, etc. so, so long as you have ever brought the engine rpm's above like 2500 rpm, all the mechanicals will have been made to go thru their motions regardless of which ECU you have.

All the Fed ECU will do is to attempt to maximize the efficiency of the valve activation/deactivation based upon feedback from the numerous sensors on the engine.

I see no issue, short of an electrical one, that should cause any problems switching to a Fed ECU.
Darkelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
You're more likely to get stuck in VTEC-E (12 valve mode) then 16 valve mode. Your engine defaults to 12 valve mode and it takes a pressurized VTEC solenoid to switch to 16 valve.

If your engine doesn't switch to 16 valve mode, the most likely cause is a problem with low oil pressure, some condition so severe that it puts your ECU into limp mode, or an electrical problem with the VTEC solenoid.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
You're more likely to get stuck in VTEC-E (12 valve mode) then 16 valve mode. Your engine defaults to 12 valve mode and it takes a pressurized VTEC solenoid to switch to 16 valve.

If your engine doesn't switch to 16 valve mode, the most likely cause is a problem with low oil pressure, some condition so severe that it puts your ECU into limp mode, or an electrical problem with the VTEC solenoid.
I am certain that it kicks into 16 valve mode ~2500 rpm, that surge is unmistakable.

There some stumbling in the area of 1,600 to 1,800 rpms in lean mode with poor throttle reponse even with properly selected gear, all maintenace uptodate. second o2 sensor installed 100,000 miles ago in 2001
SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoupe View Post
I am certain that it kicks into 16 valve mode ~2500 rpm, that surge is unmistakable.

There some stumbling in the area of 1,600 to 1,800 rpms in lean mode with poor throttle reponse even with properly selected gear, all maintenace uptodate. second o2 sensor installed 100,000 miles ago in 2001
All three of the Fed version VXs I've driven have done that, two of them with newer ntk o2 sensors (20k miles or less on them).

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
I feel like you are confusing vtec-e with lean burn...Someone correct me if I am wrong but the even the CA vx's still were vtec-e but they lacked lean burn...so now that you have swapped a FED ECU your car will be able to go into the lean burn mode which it wouldn't have been able to before with the CA ECU...correct me if I am assuming wrong but thats what I gt from the original post...

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote