After jumping my other car my VX won't start up - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Re: After jumping my other car my VX won't start up

Ok the big question is . . . Do you loose power in the car when you turn the ignition switch to the crank position ? If yes then your connection to the battery is the first thing to check . . . Side or top posts? Like Erik said!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thank you guys for all help. No i do not loose power when i crank her. Headlights are on and radio works fine.

So she wouldn't start on me again and i troubleshooted further by moving cables around the starter and it turns out that "black" cable (i think negative ?) that plugs into solenoid moves a little whole solenoid connector a little. Maybe IT DOES NOT but it seems like it does. I made the connector tighter by clamping female to male with pliers but that did help. I moved the solenoid connector toward cars rear and she started. Taped it to the hose with electrical tape. Not sure if that will last or not. It does not seem that it's female connector that plugs to male but the whole connector inside solenoid moves a little. If moved wrong way it looses connection therefore it does not start.......SO I THINK!? Other thing that crossed my mind is that perhaps something is grounding or shorting a connection to starter which is why starter would not start, but that would be negated by moving that cable as i said, unless that was coincidence.

Is there way to remedy this with soldering or any other way? If my explanation was poor let me know i can take a pic but i think i covered it.

My last resort would be to replace the starter but want to avoid that as i feel that starter is still very strong when cranking.
But if i would have to what would i need to disconnect, take off in order to freely take starter out?
I see this on honda tech but this isn't too much detailed. I see bunch of things like distributor that would be in the way ???
BTW i did redid and cleaned postive battery cable but i think i didn't faced it up like it shows. Is that a problem?
If needed what brand should i buy starter? Bosch? What brands should i avoid. They all re manufactured. I see some for $64 and some for 110. Differences?
What local store has best prices and best selection?.....but please if possible let me know if this connector by solenoid could be remedied some other way first?
Changing starter could always be done later.

sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Registered Member

I've bought Duralast starters from Auto Zone for some of my cars and never had to replace one of them. They are new, not rebuilt starters and come with a lifetime warranty so if it ever goes out again just take it back and get a new one free.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have also had good luck with the Autozone duralast starters.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Registered Member

The next thing to check is if the solenoid clicks when you turn the key to the crank position. It moves the starter pinion gear into the flywheel ring gear and when it reaches the end of it's travel it makes contact with the head of that bolt/stud where the heavy battery cable is connected making power flow into the starter. If the contact surface of that stud is pitted or burned away it can make poor contact. Sometimes just taking it apart and turning it 180 degrees around will fix it by using the other half of the stud/bolt head. Another smaller connected wire (black/white) on the solenoid runs to the ignition switch to energize the winding so make sure that connection is good or else you will not hear anything click when the key is turned.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
..... Another smaller connected wire (black/white) on the solenoid runs to the ignition switch to energize the winding so make sure that connection is good or else you will not hear anything click when the key is turned.
That is what i found (i think) to be a problem. Not sure how to fix it permanently but that whole contact moves a bit back and forth. I moved it completely towards driver seat and taped it so it would not move anymore and car starts with no problem now. However if i were to move it back or move it to different position it would not start or maybe it would and maybe it would not. So far the fix is holding but not sure how to make it permanent ???
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
Registered Member

It probably is a bolt that goes through to the inside of the solenoid to a crimped eyelet for the solenoid winding and if it is loose you simply need to either tighten it with the first nut under the wire OR loosen both nuts and unscrew it from the outside by carefully grabbing the threads or using double nuts locked together on the threads so that the bold head tightens against the inside contact then lock it in place with the outside nuts. The bolt usually threads through the plastic solenoid cover and is locked in place with the first outside nut.