Are CRXs easy to break into? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Are CRXs easy to break into?

I am looking at getting a Metro/CRX/Civic for some high milege work. I need something with solid fuel economy.

Now, I am seeing some posts elsewhere that the CRX is too easy to break into.

--Is this true?

--Are there products or modifications that can defeat this?

--Is this true for Civics as well?

Lastly, I am seeing some Civics and CRXs that don't have A/C. Being in AZ, it is a necessary feature. However, we have hit the turn and it will be really nice weather for about the next 5 months. So, I am thinking that if I get one that is without, I can do it when I don't yet need it. Unfortunately, I am having to buy not only used, but old as well, and wonder about parts availability.

--Can one easily find and install a junked A/C onto to an older Civic/CRX without much hassle?

--What would be a well rounded price for an A/C system?

--Any recommendations as to whom would have the best price and condition?

Thank you again guys
Lance

GasSavers_Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Driving on E

Everything said below about CRXs can be applied to 88-91 Civics, and probably 92-95 Civics as well.

CRXs can be very easy to break into, mainly b/c the people who break into them are the same people who work on them.

You can easily add a few kill switches here and there that will make it so that your car isn't stolen (unless they tow it). There are a NUMBER of ways to make it so your car won't start.

As for the A/C, I'd just recommend finding a CRX/Civic with A/C already installed. I've seen loads of CRX HF's that have A/C standard.

Just FYI, I have a friend in Pheonix who has had her Saturn stolen twice in the last 6 months. The previous owner had it stolen 2 times as well. The cops say that Saturns are the most frequently stolen car in Pheonix due to them being so easy to break into.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Geo's at least the 94 that I had did not have the linkage that could be slim jimmed in the door and didn't have the usual button lock either - of course no one wants to break into a Geo - even when left parked on the street in New York City all weekend.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Geo's at least the 94 that I had did not have the linkage that could be slim jimmed in the door and didn't have the usual button lock either - of course no one wants to break into a Geo - even when left parked on the street in New York City all weekend.
This bar you speak of CAN be removed from CRXs as well, but you'll have zero use of the key/lock on the door. The way around this is to install an after-market keyless entry.

Of course, let's hope your battery doesn't die.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
*shrug*

Well, let's just say I'd rather have my crx broken into than stolen, part of the reason I leave the doors unlocked. Better they have easy entrance to realize my engine is worthless and just leave the car than to break my handle or window to realize the car is worthless.

If you've got anything nice in there it can be stolen, no matter what. Someone on h-t had their ef hatch with a boot on it stolen,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
This bar you speak of CAN be removed from CRXs as well, but you'll have zero use of the key/lock on the door. The way around this is to install an after-market keyless entry.

Of course, let's hope your battery doesn't die.
Good excuse for those shaved door handles too.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I don't get people who just brake in to cars, I have friends who ended up junking their vx after the 4th time it was broken in to/stolen, the 3rd time it was broken in to they couldn't get it started, so they stole the window cranks... why???
I met a guy from columbia who told me that if you own a car there that you do not bother locking it, as windows are to expensive to replace, insted you have a brefe case that you keep all of your important things in, and you take it with you, and you get a lock that goes on your gear shift making it imposible to take it out of 1st gear, then leave your door unlocked, figure that a few times a day someone will enter your car, realize you have nothing of value, and move on to the next car on the street.
older hondas are all pretty easy to brake in to from what I've been told, mostly people want the radio, my vx had whatever fancy radio stolen befor I bought it, so he put in an alarm,I don't worry about those kinds of things, so I removed the alarm and tend to leave it unlocked most of the time, and the keys in the ash tray, I don't know if my 85 crx was broken in to, I suspect it was a few times, I'm pretty sure my 84 civic was as well, or at least someone screwed up the drivers key lock with a screw driver, but really, what is someone going to do with a stock stolen car? besides take it for a joy ride.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thx good stuff.

I suspect you are right on the taking all that is valuable with you, but its the violation of one's private space that gets me by leaving the doors unlocked.

What's "h-t"?

Keyless entry would be back where one started, yes? No? Expensive?

Y'know, it is a selling point for the Geo. Not having a vehicle that is of prime interest like a CRX, that has some value even gutted and/or thrashed. I suspect that even the insurance is cheaper on a Metro than a CRX/Civic. Anyone know for certain?

Yeah, I feel the same way Matt. I just was wanting to get some opinion in case I find a really smokin' deal should it be without A/C and I didn't want to pass it by.

My prob is that the VX or HF may be a bit more zippy/fun to drive and the Honda A/Cs might work better than say one that is strapped to a 1.0L 3 cyl. engine. In AZ, a modest A/C will do just fine until you get to around 110+ degrees or lower degrees with higher humidity as in late summer.

Plus, from time to time you can find a Honda with CC, PW, PL etc,. I haven't seen any Metros with that. Maybe the Swift or Fireflys have them. Dunno... anyone?

Again I thank all of you and welcome any further thoughts in my pursuit of a good high MPG vehicle.
GasSavers_Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
*shrug*

h-t is honda-tech.com, and while I understand the idea that the metro may be a bit "safer" to drive isn't it just as much a violation on the parts of the theives that they have forced your car decision? It's annoying to live with, but as much as I here about rexs getting stolen I have yet to see one bone stock non-vtec d-series get ripped off.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
NorthernSun.com (nice people) printed and sold me the sticker I have on my car next to the drivers door handle "Attention theives, there is nothing worth stealing in this car" not sure how many people it has detoured, but it's simaler to the signs that say "radio has already been stolen" as far as I know radio's are the most commen reason for a car to be broken in to, not having one, or getting a removable face plate at least might help, altho I know someone who had their face plate stolen.
you can brake in to any car, the easiest way is to brake the window.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote