Auto Tranny 2nd gear gone - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Ok NOW the transmission guys have the car and all the parts form the junk yard work - they take it apart and find 4th gear is shot so the price now jumps up to $3300 - up $1500 - add to that the few hundred on the 4 tow trips and the $4700 he still owes on a car he bought used for $14,000 three years ago and put 75k miles on and it is looking pretty grim. Going to cost him $8000 to keep the car and finish paying for it with 100k on it already or loose $1700 if he trades it in for a new Yaris - of course he already has lost a chunk of change with the two junk yard tires and towing. Not to mention the car rentals and my time driving him around.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #22
Supporting Member

Sounds like trading is cheaper than fixing. It boils down to simple math. Did I mention that Honda SUCKS!!!!!!!!. $4000 transmissions that only last 100k you do the math. Sounds like a crummy car to me with a honda badge on it. Honda needs to eat crow on this one. Did he call honda client services to try and get a free replacement? This works sometimes. Faulty transmissions are a big problem for honda now. Honda has been giving away the factory rebuilt units for free (you must pay shop labor for install =$800 for the TLS) to some owners of out warranty. MSN autos has declared civic transmissions to have FREQUENT failures. WHAT? this is a honda, right? Civic is not the only product line affected. Also the accord, odessey, TLS, and others I'm sure.

Tell your friend to buy a gm car next time at least the transmission won't need replacing every four years. Or a korean car next time. Or pick a car. Did I mention I hate HONDA. I'm still paying for that crummy acura.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #23
Registered Member

Second gear gone ? .

Found it ..

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #24
Registered Member

Naaa its an automatic tranny - I have a hard time believing that they went bad when they are in constant mesh - was second speed clutch and 4th speed gears.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 AM   #25
Registered Member

Hi JanGeo -?I have a hard time believing that they went bad?

Ahh , an auto , ,yeah , ime sure it is possible to break a planetry gear system , but I personally have never seen it.
Its usually clutches , bands , and control bodies that cause the most grief.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:03 AM   #26
Registered Member

Yeah exactly - that's why I think he may be being taken for a ride because he doesn't know about cars and gears but I do - though I never saw the insides of an automatic I have rebuilt and lubed 3 speed hubs and manual gear boxes. You would have to have a lube failure for the gears to wear or jammed it in park while moving? Unless they were talking about the clutches but 1500 more for 4th gear come on!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 AM   #27
Registered Member

Hi JanGeo -?or jammed it in park while moving??

Hehehe , ,that reminded me of the time I was driving in my 5.0L Ford with an auto.
I burned away from the lights holding it in 1st , clicked into second , redlined it again (quite fast now) and then as I was selecting D it went too far and went into R.

The engine immediatly stalled locking up the back wheels leaving 2 very thick black stripes up the road.

The result ?!?!? , no damage., apart from two square tires.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #28
Registered Member

Yeah - the shifter is not to be pulled towards you when up shifting that way you hit the stop and end up in neutral and then slide it back into drive again without pulling it towards you. To get into lower gears and reverse you have to pull the lever towards you and for park you have to pull it towards you a lot more than even reverse. You also can slide it out of reverse into drive by simply pushing the lever downwards again without pulling it towards you. A lot of people don't know this and are always trying to find the proper gear with the shift indicator.