Auto Tranny 2nd gear gone - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Auto Tranny 2nd gear gone

Friend of mine has a Honda !!!! Civic I think - and the dealer says the 2nd gear is gone - don't know if it is clutch or actual gear but the car doesn't go - should have tried reverse I guess but I didn't ask. 100,000 miles on it and it didn't make any funny noises. Any thoughts about this?? Thanks! - update no reverse either and it 2001 Civic LX automatic!!!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #2

I have seen seemingly normal manual honda transmissions explode or chew the teeth off of gears due to a loss of lubricant. I saw one car where the driver had gone too far up and hit a parking block with the transmission case, cracking it and leaking the oil out over a period of a few weeks. Eventually the lack of oil caused the 4th gear to sieze to the mainshaft and chew the teeth off. I have also seen loss of lubricant through loose drain plugs and improper sealing of the case halves durring reassembly if the transmission has been taken apart before.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
I bought a car once- from the brother of a tranny repairman no less!!!- that he said the trans was out on. I put some fluid in, saw that it all got pumped out onto the ground through the leaking cooling line, replaced the line, and went happily on my way with a tranny that works great!

Check the fluid first.

I'd just like to second this. If they aren't getting any engaging, I'd be inclined to think this is a potentially very likely cause. I know it's gotten me a couple of time's.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

The dealer that he bought it from used for $14k gave him a $3400 repair price - it is 800 miles past the warrenty and he still owes 5k on it. They checked it for $87 and said the second gear was shot but it was a computer diagnostic.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Supporting Member

honda + automatic + 00 or newer = bad taste for me. I had an 02 TL-s. They'll give you all the free rebuilt trannies you want till the warranty expires.
I've heard of high failure rates(high for honda) for many of there product lines including the pilot, odessey, tls.

I'd ask the dealer if its $3400 for OEM new. If not get a private rebuild that way you can look the guy rebuilding it in the EYE.

It completely defeats the purpose of purchasing a honda if the tranny is going to fail. You pay a premium for the honda mark. But if your not getting honda dependability its pointless. Buy a toyota or a manual.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Supporting Member

Boom, HEADSHOT!!

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...ivic&trimid=-1

Everyone needs to wakeup honda makes garbage transmissions. My wife and I refer to TL's as trannymunchers.

Tell this person to call HONDA client services and talk them into a free transmission. She might talk them into paying only labor and they provide the parts for free. Most likely there are installing used rebuilt transmissions. The rebuilders are private contracters for the TL's so I would assume that civic transmissions are too. There has got to be a complaint thread in referrence to this.

Here is the TL tranny failure thread

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106818

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

HEY Thanks for the ammo - I passed it on to my buddy - that really shines some light on the Honda problem - am sure glad I bought Toyota/Scion so far two recalls for headlight reflectors on certain brands not meeting DOT and I don't have them. nothing else going on officially but there has been some reports of rusting in odd places.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #8

lovemysan is right, I have been very disappointed with 2000 and newer Honda automatic transmissions.

For a little while I wanted to work at the new Honda transmission plant in Georgia, but screw that, I'm not having everyone come to me like "why do you build huge stinking piles of ****?"
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

He got a price for a complete overhaul for $1800 with a 1 year warrenty at a tansmission place where he towed it to and another office for a $1000 for a swap with 30 day warrenty. Next he is thinking of trading it in for a Yaris.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Did it get to 100,000 on the first transmission. If it did, that is not unreasonable, I don't believe. If that is the case, I'd get another quote. If I were getting it done, I'd try to find someplace that the people working in the shop do the rebuilding, instead of just getting a rebuilt installed, which is what the dealer's do, typically. All other thing's being equal, I'd get the $1000 swap. The liklihood is pretty high that if it has a catastrophic issue, it's going to show up in the first 30 day's, particularly if you know your checking to make sure it's doing Ok. The cost/risk factor doesn't justify the $1800 price, IMO.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote