Bosch +4 on a VX? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Bosch +4 on a VX?

Hey, guys. I have a new box full of the OEM replacement NGK plugs for the VX and I was looking just to see what Bosch offered. I noticed it has two options for the Civic 92-95, in relation to Bosch +4 plugs. One is for VX only and the other is for non-VX Civics. Interesting. Did they finally catch on for the VX being picking about the spark plugs or what?

Source: PepBoys website under Spark Plugs vehicle guide.

http://www.pepboys.com/catalog/partr...=1302380910970

PLATINUM + 4 PLUG

DO NOT GAP. GAP IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. - EXC VX

4418 BOSCH SPARK PLUGS 4 $5.99

PLATINUM + 4 PLUG

DO NOT GAP. GAP IS NOT ADJUSTABLE. - VX

4419 BOSCH SPARK PLUGS 4 $5.99

Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Bosch +4 on a VX?

ehh those multiple prong things never seem to help much, people say they do because well who buys a brand new OEM sparkplugs to try first THEN swapping to the bosch. its all in thier head...

BTW those multi prong things have been around damn near since the dawn of cars, nothing new same ol snake oil thier sellin.

if they help at all why arent any manufactures putting them in? cheap way to increase fuel mileage HP and whatever else they claim IF they work haha.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

Don't do it. The last time I used Bosch plugs the platinum center electrode cracked below the ceramic insulator, resulting in a misfire on my VX. '

It is likely that the electrode failed due to fatigue since I had the Bosch plugs in the engine for about 40K miles.

If you decide to use the Bosch and experience a misfire after a while, check that center electrode, it may be gone!
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

I prefer NGK personally, or perhaps Denso.

I can get the NGK 4043s locally at Pep Boys of all places, for $8.86 including tax for all 4.

I pulled a plug from cylinder 1 yesterday, lot of black carbon around the threads near the base of the plug and relatively white along the bottom of the prong. Not yet 20,000 miles on these, but I've ran Amsoil's Power Foam twice and have done a lot of cleanup since owning the vehicle. I'll probably replace them short this time. Manual says 30,000 or 2 years, whichever comes first. I'm about 15 months/18,000 miles in on these.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

they say to change plugs every 30K????
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

30,000 miles is reasonable for old-school copper plugs.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

ahhh shoot yea i forgot that haha was thinking his car was newer than it was...
Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

I use the stock NGK's. I figure with lean burn, the NGK's are the ones that are designed specifically for it. I've had good luck with them. They burn clean as they should.
I've bought two or three sets at a time from different stores so I could index them. For the price, you could be 3 sets of NGK stock plugs and index yours too. (same price you'd pay for the Bosh's) Indexing seems to have some effect, albeit one that is hard to quantify. However, if it's good enough for the race community, it's good enough and worth it for me.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Indexing?

BTW: Mine look like a combindation of these two pictures, but with normal gap and not 'as bad', just similar. More like the first picture, very close, and as for the 2nd not so much but just the white bottom of the prong(prong isn't completely black with carbon on mine). Otherwise, only carbon fouled.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

Here's a great article on spark plug indexing:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/
The basic premise is that you want the arm of the ground (the gap of the plug) to be facing the valves, specifically the exhaust if you can get that close to it. Thus, there isn't anything "blocking" the spark from the fuel. Theoretically it is the reason that these 4 pin bosh plugs perform slightly (1-2% better) than stock plugs.

It sounds like your plugs look as they should. Mine look like all other plugs I've taken out/replaced with the exception of the fact that the VX plugs look just a little more white (more white extending further down the plug, not to the face you are talking about is black, mine is also black there) than "normal" cars. I contribute that to the lean burn and my incessant need to be in lean all the time that I can.
If you pull them again, take a few photos of them and post em' for all the gurus to chime in!
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote