Brake and light inspection - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Brake and light inspection

how much does it cost? and are they pretty strict? cause my car was hit on the front passanger side, and the headlight is sorta crooked but all the lights are working and not cracked or broken, my tail light has a small hole in it (smaller than a dime) oh ya and my hood is bent a little but im getting a new one
heres what it looks like

SupraRXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraRXZ
how much does it cost? and are they pretty strict? cause my car was hit on the front passanger side, and the headlight is sorta crooked but all the lights are working and not cracked or broken, my tail light has a small hole in it (smaller than a dime) oh ya and my hood is bent a little but im getting a new one
heres what it looks like
In Texas, it probably the same everywhere, you can't have a hole in the brake lens. I had one about the size of a quarter were I backed the car into my bicycle handlebar. I found a red lens and super-glued it over the hole. They saw it but said it was fine. I think the rest of the stuff should be OK. I'm sure someone from CA and chime in on the rest.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

do you know how much it cost by chance?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
do you know how much it cost by chance?
If your asking about a State inspection it's $28.50 in TX I have no idea about CA.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Cops can and sometimes will bust you for a broken taillight, but now that it's a $115 processing fee or some BS even if you fix it in a certain time frame, they tend to be laid back and let it go. I'm guessing they won't give you trouble so long as nothing's broken, they (dmv/chp) can't tag you for dents and such. Just make sure the headlights are aimed properly, and I think you'll be fine.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Cops can and sometimes will bust you for a broken taillight, but now that it's a $115 processing fee or some BS even if you fix it in a certain time frame, they tend to be laid back and let it go. I'm guessing they won't give you trouble so long as nothing's broken, they (dmv/chp) can't tag you for dents and such. Just make sure the headlights are aimed properly, and I think you'll be fine.
Tail light im not worried about ill just borrow my cousin's tail lights for the inspection just to be safe, so its $115? or is it like 30 bucks?

this is cause im restoring my car from salvage. i got it from an auction.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Tail light im not worried about ill just borrow my cousin's tail lights for the inspection just to be safe, so its $115? or is it like 30 bucks?

this is cause im restoring my car from salvage. i got it from an auction.
The fine if pulled-over can be $115, but the inspections (vary by State) are generally around $30. Just make sure you don't have any exposed rust with sharp edges -- they like to fail people on that too. I was failed in MO for an exhaust leak in the TL about 3 months ago -- I patched it up and it was fine. It all depends on the shop you take it to (unless the State does it).

RH77

EDIT: I forgot about California Emissions laws -- is that going to be a problem???
Old 10-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

Oh, salvage inspection is $50 provided it was a total loss. I think you also need to get a 1 day permit to take it on state streets if it hasn't been registered which is like $20 iirc, unless it's completely trailered of course. You'll also probably have to smog it.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Oh, salvage inspection is $50 provided it was a total loss. I think you also need to get a 1 day permit to take it on state streets if it hasn't been registered which is like $20 iirc, unless it's completely trailered of course. You'll also probably have to smog it.
its been smogged, all they asked for was a brake and light inspection, Im gunna borrow my cousin's CRX tail light just to be safe and Im gunna ask if it will pass, they probably charge to tell me but its probably free to get it re-inspected