Can I use Civic VX to tow 3500lb boat trailer? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #21
EH3
Registered Member

the short answer....

HELL no. what are you thinking? i mean... seriously.

talk to a buddy/co-worker/family member/neighor/etc with a truck and trade with them when you need to move/use the boat.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
Registered Member

Thanks to all the replies. With the clutch and handing issues I decided to hold off on this idea for a while.

Ross

djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
Registered Member

i think you should absolutely hold off your idea unless you can find a way to put a V6 engine in your civic (has been done before)

Like i said in my earlier post, i haul tons of stuff with my civic, and the most weight i ever did was 1500 pounds excluding myself, in a civic with the ex transmission (alot better than the vx taller gearing for towing) and it was struggling very badly just to accelerate. I was hauling, not towing. more than doubling my load of 1500 will not work.
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
i think you should absolutely hold off your idea unless you can find a way to put a V6 engine in your civic (has been done before)
No. No amount of engine will make it a safe combination. More engine will merely make it easier to get to more dangerous speeds. I am consistently amazed by the quantity of people who think that the most important part of towing is power or drivetrain; those are the least important parts.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #25
Registered Member

A late friend had a trailer hitch on his 1967 24 HP Citroen Ami 6 (2CV wit a much better looking body and more weight). Draw your own conclusions.

Not all the world needs an F350 to tow, or to tow at 80 mph in the passing lane.

Case in point. I think the UK (diesel) version of the Kia Spectra 5 was rated tow car of the year by the UK caravan association?

The more important part is brakes. That would equate to stopping a second Civic, so make sure you have brakes on the trailer or a lesser weight.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
What were the weight ratios, speeds, road conditions, and driver training involved in your examples?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I am consistently amazed by the quantity of people who think that the most important part of towing is power or drivetrain; those are the least important parts.
No kidding. The brakes, suspension, and overall stability are much more important. The major spec on the drivetrain should be surviving the stress, which points to less power not more. Old semis only had about 200 hp for 80k lbs! New ones are 450+, but that power/weight ratio is still easy to beat.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #28
Registered Member

yea sure u can get it moving (could get a freight car moving) but are ya gonna stop it? heck no... trailer brakes or not, if they fail your a runaway car...

not to mention trying to get up said boat ramp launches are usually a pretty hefty slope and are sometimes wet if their used often. wet+ fwd+ no weight over tires = spin fest
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #29
Registered Member

2090 lb car

3500 lb trailer

=

fail.