Can I use Civic VX to tow 3500lb boat trailer? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

mrmad - I plan on using 3000lb electric winch to retrieve the boat/trailer from the water and on to leveled ground. The car would sit off the ramp possibly with wheel chokes if e-brake is not enough. You can check out this site for detailed description: http://www.messingaboutinboats.com/a...ebruary99.html

BBsGarage - my trailer is already equipped with electric brakes sufficient to provide all the braking power. Controller is mounted in the vehicles - brakes are automatically activated with manual override control

theholycow - good point about safety and handling. I wonder, how much side-to-side stress there is on the tow vehicle? I know that with RWD Lincoln it never was an issue, as long as the trailer was properly loaded. If somebody has a positive or negative experience with Civic handling while towing a trailer, I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks Ross

djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I can't speak for your Civic specifically, but the weight ratios are too extreme. Some new pickups (RWD/4WD, obviously) are designed to tow significantly more than their own weight, but I can assure you that a Civic is not able to safely tow a trailer 150% of its own weight. The only reason I'm not screaming "DON'T DO IT!!" is the low speed and distance. I assume you don't mind doing 20mph the whole way even though you report the speed limit being as high as 45.

You better hope there's no cops on the road, though. I think most wouldn't bother you even if your trailer was swaying across four lanes and your car was sideways, but some will nab you just for towing so obviously overweight even if you manage to do it safely.

As for the electric brakes, it's not a good idea to depend on them so completely. They are supplemental, the tow vehicle should still be able to brake the whole rig decently even after a wiring defect.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I dunno, seems like a bad idea to me. Without knowing anything about the particulars, common sense says to me too much strain on the clutch and transmission. I complain about the wear on my clutch in my VX when it's completely unladen accelerating in first from a stop. I would never dream subjecting my VX to that kind of weight with its tall 1st gear.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Plan on replacing the clutch regularly.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Registered Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...KI_CqAPOk92jCQ

Any questions?

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
Registered Member

I think Europe is the home of small tow vehicles... when I went to Germany, lots of small cars had hitches on them (a sort of gooseneck design I haven't seen here in the US). I saw at least one midsized car towing a horse trailer (an ultralight variety that I also haven't seen here). But nothing close to what you're talking about.

A load equal to the tow vehicle is a decent load for anything. I've had electric brakes go out suddenly on a 3/4 ton truck (it's about 4600 pounds) towing/carrying about 4-5k. It stopped, but I'm really glad I wasn't hauling 8k. A google search says 3600+ for your Lincoln, which sounds decent for your boat. The VX isn't much over 2000... maybe saw your boat in 2 and take two trips?
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Any questions?
Funny video, but they just had it hooked up wrong. Little cars do better pushing, not pulling. I know this because all day long I see little cars pushing giant RVs down the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
maybe saw your boat in 2 and take two trips?
I would just rig the sails, and then the extra force would take a load off my motor and clutch.

Hey, how come no one sells a sail I can mount on my roof?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I can't believe you are still thinking about doing this, it is a bad idea, towing a 3,500 pound trailer with a 1,900 pound front wheel drive car, Your owners manual clearly tells you not to do it, if the police see you try it they should ticket you for operating an over loaded vehicle.
If you do try this on a public road you will be a hazard to others and a prime candidate for a Darwin award.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
1,900 pound
2,094. A bit more if you hang some foam dice from the mirror.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Wow that is funny.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote