Catch 22 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Catch 22

I have two choices either repair a inner tie rod boot or keep adding power steering fluid.

The part itself costs $12 but the problem is it's very hard to get to it and labor would be alone $200-275.

I don't have those kinds of tools and have no experience repairing power steering racks.

Power steering fluid costs $2.74 tax included for 12 oz. I would have to waste a bottle every 4-6 weeks in order to keep my fluid in the right zone. If I don't add any fluid the whole system will take a crap.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
*shrug*

My vote is to loop the

My vote is to loop the system and eliminate PS altogether.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

yeah but I'd like to have

yeah but I'd like to have power steering. I park outside in a parking lot that requires a lot of manuvering.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Re: Catch 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Power steering fluid costs $2.74 tax included for 12 oz. I would have to waste a bottle every 4-6 weeks in order to keep my fluid in the right zone. If I don't add any fluid the whole system will take a crap.
By my math, the payback period for fixing the leak would be 8 to 12 years. Unless you are gonna keep it that long I would see If I could get a deal on a case of fluid.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

Re: yeah but I'd like to have

Quote:
yeah but I'd like to have power steering. I park outside in a parking lot that requires a lot of manuvering.
When I had a car with no PS, it was so easy to turn the wheel when the car was moving -- of course, at a slower pace it's much more difficult.

This is what I recommend. Go to an empty parking lot, get up to a decent speed, put the car in N, and shut 'er down. Then practice maneuvering the vehicle with the engine off until it coasts to a stop. This way, you'll get a feel for the effort. It's not easy, but it could be manageable, and it's a good workout :-)

And besides, taking the PS out of the equation will yield you better quarter-mile times ;-)

RH77
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
*shrug*

I wonder how toxic PS fluid

I wonder how toxic PS fluid is...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Guys where did you get the

Guys where did you get the idea if I remove my pump this will solve the problem???

The problem will still be the same with no power steering. It will still leak. You need lubrication, otherwise parts break. Then I'll have no steering at all. If the pump was broken I would of just taken it out and be done with it.

Dan what if the boot gets worse and I have to waste a bottle a week, that could get very costly...

Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

Re: I wonder how toxic PS fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I wonder how toxic PS fluid is...
Well, I know it'll eat the paint off of a car if you spill it on the finish, so probably pretty toxic stuff.

RH77
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Registered Member

Re: Guys where did you get the

Quote:
Guys where did you get the idea if I remove my pump this will solve the problem???

The problem will still be the same with no power steering. It will still leak. You need lubrication, otherwise parts break. Then I'll have no steering at all. If the pump was broken I would of just taken it out and be done with it.

Dan what if the boot gets worse and I have to waste a bottle a week, that could get very costly...
I don't believe it's really an issue of lubrication. I think the PS pump is simply a hydraulic assist device that receives input from the steering wheel and helps it along through a high-pressure line to the steering rack. All of the other components are sealed and have lubrication of their own. I'm not sure which boot is leaking exactly...I'm thinking it's where the pump line meets the rack, right?

RH77
Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
leak

Is it a leak from a split seal or a leaking seal - maybe some PS fluid leak stop will help - something with seal swell in it that will soften the rubber seal material and seal it up better. Often on my front fork seals of my bike all I have to do is change the oil and clean the grit out of the seals and I am good for another year.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote