Charcoal canister hose/line problem on VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Charcoal canister hose/line problem on VX

I've got a problem I found on my VX guys. Check out the picture below I'm linking rom the Majestic Honda site:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+PIPE+%281%29

Notice the charcoal canister and the line leading from the bottom of the canister(labeled 12), I'd imagine part of it is to get the potentially hazardous fumes out of the engine bay so nothing is vented into the cabin.

I ran into this problem when I was detailing the engine bay two days ago; cleaning various rubber hoses and plastics 'gently', and as I was inspecting all of the surrounding area for any cracks or obvious signs of wear I basically just touched the line running from the location #s 12/19 there and I had 2 joints made of plastic crack to pieces while I was inspecting the line(they were brittle to the touch and were cracked already, its supposed to be a hard plastic)...

Notice in the picture the line proceeding to apparently 'end' after part '18'. There are two joints on both sides of where the 18 is labeling that piece, the one leading away from the canister has the 2nd joint that is also cracked to pieces.

The other, closer to the canister, has a smaller 'off'(part of a three way joint) leading to pipe 47, which is then re-routed back to snug itself alongside the charcoal canister and faces towards the hood, just open(perhaps could be plugged though?)...

The last joint after the label 18? This last joint is just under the bottom of the engine bay where the last section of pipe here is leading under the car into what appears to be nothing more than that. I haven't jacked the car up, but it seems like the pipe would just end and allow excessive fumes to leave in an area that wouldn't put passengers at risk, venting everything under the car instead of the engine bay.

I've jury rigged/tapped up the breaking joints but basically am not connected to the last pipe that makes sure the fumes leave the engine bay. How dangerous is this to be driving(while needing AC especially and havent had the windows down...yesl)???

I think the Honda site I linked has a replacement part right there called the "Canister Drain Joint Pipe", but before I pick it up/replace this I was curious as to the dangers and if I'm on the right track of why its needing to leave the engine bay/usage of the canister?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Charcoal canister hose/line problem on VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
I think the Honda site I linked has a replacement part right there called the "Canister Drain Joint Pipe", but before I pick it up/replace this I was curious as to the dangers and if I'm on the right track of why its needing to leave the engine bay/usage of the canister?
Huh? Is your question why are there lines running to and from the charcoal canister? I'm not sure what this statement is asking.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Huh? Is your question why are there lines running to and from the charcoal canister? I'm not sure what this statement is asking.
More like why they have to leave the engine bay. Would the fumes come into the cabin since they aren't piped out of the engine bay currently? Just a little concerned. And, yes, I don't quite know the purpose of the canister technically.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

The evaporative emissions system is mainly concerned with fumes in the airspace in the gas tank. It absorbs them and the intent is that the engine will eventually burn those fumes, so it is plumbed to the intake as well as the gas tank.

Some vehicles (1994 Chevy S10 in my yard) have the canister next to the gas tank, and then that plumbing goes all the way to the engine.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Lean Burn Mode

It is also built this way to put the exit out as low as possible. Gas fumes are heavier then air and they will go to the ground.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Speaking of charcoal filters, you guys shouldn't top off your gas tanks because apparently it can poison them with gasoline. Yes the canister is suppose to absorb gasoline...gasoline vapor! If it becomes fully saturated, then it destroys the purpose of the charcoal canister.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

That's what I had heard, imz, but forgot the reasoning about why not to top off the tank until you brought that out now.

Also, HC, I understood THAT function of the canister, but not why it had to have the pipe below. So, that's the fumes settling out the bottom? No risk of actually having gasoline come out.

Update: I just bought the replacement piece from Honda directly. $5 cheaper than Majestic, even with my dealer having to order it. $20 total, but I just needed the couplers, not the pipe. apparently, like in the picture above, I can only order that section all as one. Makes me wish I had looked at autopart stores if they carried something for it. Oh well, unless it comes without the joints, I'll have to just leave the extra hose hanging.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

I guess I should have said I ordered the replacement part, but anyways I finally got it only to realize I don't need it!? ...

It was one big piece of plastic after all as the picture indicated(#18) and does come to rest just on the underside of the car(behind the rack/pinion passenger side).

So...I need to lower my rack & pinion for the passenger side to get the replacement piece to fit to the body. Not wanting to do that just yet I thought of something: Why not just use the smaller pipe to go in place of the plastic pipe?

So, I wound up sticking the pipe #47(ref to original post) into the bottom of pipe #19 and fed the smaller pipe to where the $20 piece of plastic(#18) was supposed to go on the topside of the rack/pinion section. I'm really thinking of just taking this $20 contraption of plastic back and using the money towards buying a new 02 sensor.