Civic VX antenna - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

But at least there's a cassette player that actually still works. Great for books on tape.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Registered Member

Why wouldn't you just buy a replacement? The whole point of the one on there is that you can shove it all the way down if you do not need it or pull it out for better reception. So as long as you are decently close to a major city you should be able to get good reception without even having to extend the antenna.

Or am I missing something here? (Just replaced mine on my '95 DX sedan).

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Once I used a cassette adapter to play MP3's in my truck. I think that's the only time I ever used the tape deck. The CD player has probably been used less than 10 times since I bought it as well. I either listen to the radio, or my MP3 player.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
Registered Member

Ben,

sorry i didn't see your reply buried in amungst all the other replys about Geo metros and FM transmitters. I just figured one the newer flexable antennas would last longer (and look nicer) than the metal ones that have a tendancy to bend.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
Registered Member

Unfortunately, my experience with our 92-95 Civics is that radio reception is rates about a D-minus anyway in our cars, so I have trouble suggesting to you to replace the OEM one. I suggest you find an alternative - I've heard people say that you can get aftermarket antennas that can be affixed to the under-side of the dash (for example). Anything is probably better than OEM which has been notoriously bad for me.
deschlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Come to think of it, why didn't the VX come with a windshield antenna? Plenty of old gas guzzler GMs did in the late 1970s.

For those who don't know what it is, a windshield antenna looks like the defrost lines on a rear window but it only goes around the edge of the glass.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

Rusty and the Big White Hooptie have the in-glass antennas. My old 1974 C-10 had the in-glass antenna as well.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Ben,

sorry i didn't see your reply buried in amungst all the other replys about Geo metros and FM transmitters. I just figured one the newer flexable antennas would last longer (and look nicer) than the metal ones that have a tendancy to bend.
I guess I live close enough to the city and do not take too many road trips in it that I have a problem. I usually leave it all the way in and then there is no chance it will bend. Seems they bend most often when people forget to put them in going through the carwash.

I do agree with deschlong and theholycow though about different antenna style. I just wish I could find more reviews on "in-dash" antennas or the antenna you are supposed to be able to mount behind your review mirror. But I cannot find any concrete evidence that they will work better. If you research it and find some information on it I would be interested to see what you find.

I bought my car with a bent antenna and just bought an new OEM Honda one on Ebay for ~$20-25. Installed it and can now push it all the way back in.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
Registered Member

Scrolll through our "VX owners" thread. I recall some members had removed the stock antenna for aerodynamic considerations. Don't know if they gave up on radio or found a suitable internal antenna.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I could swear that as recently as a year ago you could easily find the windshield antenna lines like were on the 70s GMs, but now I can barely find anyone acknowledging that they ever existed, much less anywhere to buy that kind of antenna.