Cleaning your engine with Ethanol? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cleaning your engine with Ethanol?

I read that ethanol will clean up your engine even if it's not intended for it. I heard of a few people using E85 in their cars and was wondering if others have tried using it in their cars for at least the purpose of cleaning up the engine. I heard that the exhaust will be dark on an older car because of the built up carbon deposits being dislodged. My idea was to remove the O2 sensors and then run with the ethanol in order to prevent the O2 sensors from being contaminated.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I read that ethanol will clean up your engine even if it's not intended for it. I heard of a few people using E85 in their cars and was wondering if others have tried using it in their cars for at least the purpose of cleaning up the engine. I heard that the exhaust will be dark on an older car because of the built up carbon deposits being dislodged. My idea was to remove the O2 sensors and then run with the ethanol in order to prevent the O2 sensors from being contaminated.
Years ago in my area only discount gasoline was E10. Of course, thanks to the EPA, everyone now is mandated to sell it. I remember when my grandmother moved down here to live with us. She would not let me put 7-11 gas in her car. She was afraid it would dislodge all sorts of crap in her engine, and make the car run bad. I told her that I ran it in my pontiac, and it was fine, but she said my parents had been putting ethanol fuel in that car on a regular basis since it was new, since the only fuel stations within 10 miles of home were 7-11's selling E10. Her logic was since the car had been run on that fuel since it was new, it was ok.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Cleaning the outside? or inside?
Alcohol is for drinking, gasoline is for washing parts. Methanol is for racing!
Maybe for them, but for me Methanol is for making Biodiesel!

Just be sure the fuel lines and seals are alcohol (ethyl or methyl) resistant. The 10% ethanol limit was due to the rubber being degraded much more rapidly at higher percentages.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Alcohol is for drinking
You're making me thirsty.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You're making me thirsty.

Mmmm, I see curly fries on that menu...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
I've used seafoam on most of my cars to help clean up carbon deposits, i'd imagine its safer to use the ethanol, its petroleum based and claims to be O2 sensors safe and all...every so often I'll use a can on my car, 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil right before the oil change to loosen up any gunk, and then the last 1/3 is poured SLOWLY in threw a vac line, the PCV or brake booster is best usually...after that you let the car sit for 5min or so and then start it up and it will smoke heavily for a few min, this is normal lol I did it and personally have noticed differences in vehicles afterwards...I will caution you some people have had not so good experiences with it, I have only had good ones, but I will say use at your own risk...

Here is the link to the site, you can get it at most auto parts stores
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Cleaning the outside? or inside?
Alcohol is for drinking
I seem to have read somewhere (of course, now, I can't find it) that Chrysler did an experiment with their turbine car back in the early '60s...running it on scotch. I understand that the engineers on the project cried as they poured the scotch into the tank...of course the car ran...don't know if it drove a straight line, though...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote