crx hf head gasket repair problem - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

crx hf head gasket repair problem

I have replaced a blown head gasket on my 1989 crx hf, D15B6. It got a little hot, gauge only was about 3/4 the way towards hot. Usually runs in the middle. I took the head off and had it shaved. After putting it back on the engine idles rough and will not rev up, only bogs down. I have the timing marks perfectly aligned. Cam shaft pulley 3 and 9 o'clock marks in line with top of block and on the crank I have the mark on the timing belt pulley lined up with the arrow on the oil pump/bottom of the block. The TDC mark on the crank pulley also lines up with the pointer on the timing belt cover. I have read that there could be a crack in the head or a piston. I hope not. Have any of you had a problem like this?

bartsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Angry Re: crx hf head gasket repair problem

Could be several problems, but I would start looking at vacuum hoses and troubleshoot the EGR valve to ensure it is functioning properly.

I hope you were aware of Honda service bulletin 97-047 which was for blown HG on D series engines. It gives the PN of an all metal HG and a set of head bolts to go with it. I wasn't and ended up having to replace the 1st HG I did on my HF 6 months later. On the bright side, it only took about half the time the 2nd time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsan View Post
I have replaced a blown head gasket on my 1989 crx hf, D15B6. It got a little hot, gauge only was about 3/4 the way towards hot. Usually runs in the middle. I took the head off and had it shaved. After putting it back on the engine idles rough and will not rev up, only bogs down. I have the timing marks perfectly aligned. Cam shaft pulley 3 and 9 o'clock marks in line with top of block and on the crank I have the mark on the timing belt pulley lined up with the arrow on the oil pump/bottom of the block. The TDC mark on the crank pulley also lines up with the pointer on the timing belt cover. I have read that there could be a crack in the head or a piston. I hope not. Have any of you had a problem like this?

mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Re: crx hf head gasket repair problem

I checked for vacuumn leaks by spraying a mist around intake and all vaccumn hoses while running. I could not see any leaks. How would you check the egr to see if its working ok? If the timing belt is put on right and with the distributor being impossible to put on wrong, do you think the problem could be with the distributor?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

Double check the camshaft timing- look at the marks from several angles- it could be 1 tooth off.

Also double check your ignition timing.

Check your valve clearance- it may be too little

A cracked piston or head would show up in a compression test- but if this was the case- one cylinder would be dead at idle (it would be running on 3 cylinders) and this would be pretty obvious as the engine would be shaking like crazy.

Another possibility is that you have two spark plug wires switched so that you are running on only 2 cylinders.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for all ideas. The problem ended up being a clogged up cat converter due to the water that went through it.