D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 13 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #121
*shrug*

Just ziptie the pump on then,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:00 AM   #122
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Just ziptie the pump on then,
you're forgetting that this won't fix the fact that the v-belt doesn't work on a serpentine pulley.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #123
Registered Member

for the crank pulley question......is the motor hooked to the tranny and does the tranny have the axles in? (basically, are all the mechanicals from engine to rolling wheel installed?) if so there is an easy way to break the crank pulley bolt using the car itself as a tool. Turn the wheel all the way to the left (or take the wheel off if it won't clear a rachet plus extension) and access the pulley bolt w/ a long extension (or a few smaller ones in sequence) and a breaker bar (I use 1/2"). The trick is to make sure the wheels are on the ground, the car is in gear, and the parking brake is up. You wrench on the bolt, which would normally spin the engine assembly, except if it is hooked to the tranny and the tranny is in gear, so it's the bolt vs. the weight of the car. If the car is jacked up or all the wheels are off, pushing on the brake to lock the front rotors (I use a cinder block) is the best alternative. Many methods will work so long as the tranny is allowed to take the force out to the hubs/wheels. Hope that helps, Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #124
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
This would be the perfect time to not have PS any more, but honestly the thought of going to the junkyard to get a new steering rack, etc... just seems like too much work.
I've swapped 4-5 racks in the last 2-3 months, I've got them down to about 45 min in and out. if you don't have the exhaust and the shift linkage hooked up already, you're 1/3 the way there!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #125
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel
for the crank pulley question......is the motor hooked to the tranny and does the tranny have the axles in? (basically, are all the mechanicals from engine to rolling wheel installed?) if so there is an easy way to break the crank pulley bolt using the car itself as a tool. Turn the wheel all the way to the left (or take the wheel off if it won't clear a rachet plus extension) and access the pulley bolt w/ a long extension (or a few smaller ones in sequence) and a breaker bar (I use 1/2"). The trick is to make sure the wheels are on the ground, the car is in gear, and the parking brake is up. You wrench on the bolt, which would normally spin the engine assembly, except if it is hooked to the tranny and the tranny is in gear, so it's the bolt vs. the weight of the car. If the car is jacked up or all the wheels are off, pushing on the brake to lock the front rotors (I use a cinder block) is the best alternative. Many methods will work so long as the tranny is allowed to take the force out to the hubs/wheels. Hope that helps, Mak
IN short, the axles are not hooked up.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #126
*shrug*

Hook up the axles, it only takes about 20 minutes,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #127
Driving on E

Once again, the engine is out... sigh... at least I'm getting really good at pulling engines :P

I tried removing the crank pulley using the tried and true method, but the AC bracket got in the way. I recently lost my 14mm socket, so I'm off to autozone to get another one.

Does anyone know if they sell crank pulley bolts at autozone? Mine is getting kinda torn up from all of the stress I've been putting on it.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #128
Driving on E

And the engine is back in... Tomorrow I'll reattach all of the hoses, wires, mounts, etc.. and then I'll finally get the belts (AC and PS) attached. As soon as that is done it's in with the axles, the throttle cable, the speedo cable, and the fuel line. In with oil and transmission fluid and then I try to start it up.

After that, of course, I repeat the entire swap because I screwed up something simple at the beginning.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 AM   #129
Registered Member

After following this saga, I think I don't think I will be doing an engine swap. Rather, I will just buy the engine that I want with the car already attached up all proper like.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:19 AM   #130
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
After following this saga, I think I don't think I will be doing an engine swap. Rather, I will just buy the engine that I want with the car already attached up all proper like.
you could just swap the cx tranny, you don't have to do an engine swap, you're already getting mid 60's.

BTW, if you were to sell your car right now how much would you ask?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote