DaX's N600 Restoration - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-29-2006, 01:23 AM   #21
Registered Member

Hi 90CivicStandard - ?I hate rust?

Rust is natures way of helping your FE by weducing vehicle weight.

Rust is good

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Hi 90CivicStandard - ?I hate rust?

Rust is natures way of helping your FE by weducing vehicle weight.

Rust is good

lol.

I suppose that's a "the glass is half full"- way of looking at it.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #23

Well I got my wheels back from the sandblaster - they really did strip them down to bare metal. One of the wheels was more rotten than I thought, as the sandblasting process blasted a hole right through the wheel! I will pick another wheel to have sandblasted this week to replace it.

I have painted and clearcoated the three wheels that made it through the sandblasting. They look excellent...I can't wait to mount the tires. I'll be posting pictures soon.

New total is $1707.08.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #24
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Well I got my wheels back from the sandblaster - they really did strip them down to bare metal. One of the wheels was more rotten than I thought, as the sandblasting process blasted a hole right through the wheel! I will pick another wheel to have sandblasted this week to replace it.

I have painted and clearcoated the three wheels that made it through the sandblasting. They look excellent...I can't wait to mount the tires. I'll be posting pictures soon.

New total is $1707.08.
I was lucky to only have a little surface rust on my rims. Actually, on the INSIDE of the wheels I had a lot of pitting due to rust, but luckily it was all gone with my wire brush.

Oh yeah, I'm certain that you can sell your left over car parts for a good profit to make up for some of the initial cost.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:47 AM   #25
Registered Member

The coolest Honda in the world I rekon

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #26
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX

New total is $1707.08.
The thing I hate about rust is that it's like cancer: if you don't get rid of ALL of it, it comes back.

I once sand blasted 5 wire wheels myself. They were extremely clean but it took forever, and got slower toward the end (the sand gets smoother and finer as it gets recycled).

Is there any chance of just getting the car dipped? It means totally stripping the body of all non-body parts, but you'll have NO rust.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
Is there any chance of just getting the car dipped? It means totally stripping the body of all non-body parts, but you'll have NO rust.
Doubtful. I'm not THAT hardcore of a restorationist.

Sorry to be slow posting pictures...but I just moved into my new house this weekend. Things are crazy, and I still need to get one more wheel sandblasted and painted before I can move my 600 to my house to work on it.

I'm hopefully picking up a 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand air compressor this week.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #28

FINALLY got to touch the cars last night in what seems like forever.

I didn't get the air compressor yet...it may come as late as tax season - things needed to be purchased for the house, and those took precedence.

I started disassembly on the yellow N. I have completely disassembled the car from the rear all the way to the back of the driver's seat (with the exception of the fuel tank, rear suspension, rear bumper, exhaust). I hope to have the car totally stripped in a few weeks so I can uload it, either for a free pickup of the frame, or to send it to the crusher.

As an aside, I think I'm going to try to make reproduction lenses for the N. I have some experience with silicone molding, and I think the hardest part will be getting the color right, which I should be able to do by about the 5th lens.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #29
Registered Member

Ooh, I've always wanted a nice little car like one of these, can't wait to see more work get done on them.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #30
Registered Member

Great project DaX, can't wait to see it finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX

As an aside, I think I'm going to try to make reproduction lenses for the N. I have some experience with silicone molding, and I think the hardest part will be getting the color right, which I should be able to do by about the 5th lens.
If they turn out good, and you want to make a few bucks, I could send you some S600 lenses, and if you're able to reproduce them I'd buy a few sets from you.

smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote