DaX's N600 Restoration - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #61
Registered Member

Every once in a while, while looking for S600 wheels, I'll come across a set of N600 size wheels on the Japan Yahoo Auctions. If/when that happens, I'll PM you the link, and if you'd want to bid on them, I have a guy in Japan that can do that.

smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithenhiven
Every once in a while, while looking for S600 wheels, I'll come across a set of N600 size wheels on the Japan Yahoo Auctions. If/when that happens, I'll PM you the link, and if you'd want to bid on them, I have a guy in Japan that can do that.
Fantastic!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #63
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithenhiven
Ahem... I'd like in on this action too
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Ahem... I'd like in on this action too
Sure thing
smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #65

1) Didn't get to mold any lenses this weekend...I left all my supplies at work! But I'm bringing them home tonight, so I might pour tomorrow.

2) Finally got to tinker with my cars this weekend. It seems like it's been forever! I was able to gut the interior (minus dash and headliner remnants) of AN600-1037502. I spent the rest of the day disassembling the brake components on the four wheels of this car. I bolted the front hubs (minus discs) and rear drums back on the car, because I'm going to need to bolt wheels/tires on it soon to move it to my house.

Currently, the rear wheel cylinders and front calipers are soaking in water to loosen the components for disassembly. I'm going to inspect all three sets of calipers and cylinders to pick out the best set. If all show signs of pitting, it'll be off to Miles for sleeving and refurbishment!

Pictures of roof skin damage and other stuff to come soon...
Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #66
Registered Member

I would think if you are going to soak the metal parts in something, that something like linseed oil or even some old motor oil would be a lot better than water. With my luck I'd put them in the water and forget about them until they had grown some nasty piles of rust.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
I would think if you are going to soak the metal parts in something, that something like linseed oil or even some old motor oil would be a lot better than water. With my luck I'd put them in the water and forget about them until they had grown some nasty piles of rust.
Chances are these cars were not using Dot 5 brake fluid and were instead using Dot 3. Dot 3 brake fluid absorbs water. It does this to assimilate small amounts of water that can get into the brake system.

The brakes on this car have been sitting for years, and there was very little fluid leakage when I unbolted the lines. More than likely there is crystallized brake fluid in the cylinder bores and on the seals. Soaking the parts in water for about 24 hours should rehydrate the crystals and free everything up. I hope I can knock the pistons out of the cylinders when I get home tonight and inspect the bores for damage.

I will be converting to Dot 5 brake fluid on this restoration, which is a silicone based fluid.

Here are pictures from this weekend:

Thick bondo chip from the roof skin.

Roof skin after bondo was chipped away.

Roof skin after bondo was chipped away.

This is how she sits now.

Headliner removal tools.

Interior pre-gutting.

Interior post-gutting.

Interior post-gutting.

Brake calipers (x2) and wheel cylinders (x4)

Front corner minus brake components.

All that is left from the yellow car.

My first one, tucked away in the corner still.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #68

Well, both front calipers and one of the four rear cylinders came loose tonight after soaking in the water! I am going to leave the other three wheel cylinders in the water for another 24 hours to see what happens.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #69
Driving on E

Let me just say that you have very nice floorboards. I've seen very few floorboards that un-rusted.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
Let me just say that you have very nice floorboards. I've seen very few floorboards that un-rusted.
Thanks...most of this car is in very good shape...just a few small rusty patches here and there and the big area on the roof.

Here are pictures of my disassembled calipers and wheel cylinder: