DaX's N600 Restoration - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #81
Registered Member

A couple pointers if you dont mind. I would DEFINITELY not sandblast any sheetmetal that is rusted, it will likely warp especially if its already rusted pretty good. It would probably be best to wire brush all rusted spots that are more than surface rust and then treat with a product like POR 15 or RUST SEALER. I would do this wherever there is rust that will not quickly sand off.

The roof might be easier to replace and will have better longevity than repairing that roof. The added benefit would be that while you have it off you could chop the top slightly to decrease frontal area for aerodynamics.

What is the bolt pattern and hub size on the stock wheels? You might be able to find something local that is also lightweight. There are some really light honda or miata wheels in a 4*100 bolt pattern, you also might be able to use a set of old mini cooper wheels depending on the bolt pattern there.

What is the ultimate goal for the project? Do you want it to perform well, get good gas mileage with performance not being considered, or some combination of the 2? This is a great platform for a little penny pinching ride, I look forward to seeing the progress!(just found this forum, and am happy to see there are more people like myself out there)

hotroddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:22 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddr View Post
A couple pointers if you dont mind. I would DEFINITELY not sandblast any sheetmetal that is rusted, it will likely warp especially if its already rusted pretty good. It would probably be best to wire brush all rusted spots that are more than surface rust and then treat with a product like POR 15 or RUST SEALER. I would do this wherever there is rust that will not quickly sand off.

The roof might be easier to replace and will have better longevity than repairing that roof. The added benefit would be that while you have it off you could chop the top slightly to decrease frontal area for aerodynamics.

What is the bolt pattern and hub size on the stock wheels? You might be able to find something local that is also lightweight. There are some really light honda or miata wheels in a 4*100 bolt pattern, you also might be able to use a set of old mini cooper wheels depending on the bolt pattern there.

What is the ultimate goal for the project? Do you want it to perform well, get good gas mileage with performance not being considered, or some combination of the 2? This is a great platform for a little penny pinching ride, I look forward to seeing the progress!(just found this forum, and am happy to see there are more people like myself out there)
I have no intentions of blasting the body. I have wire brushed the front valance and sealed it (temporarily) with etch primer. I will probably go back and use POR15.

This car will be a stock restoration - no aero mods for me.

The bolt pattern is not 4x100, I think it's 4x113 or something weird like that, which is why it's really hard to find aftermarket wheels. The steelies only weigh 7 lbs each, so for the time being, I'm just going to rock them. I don't want to use anything larger than a 10" wheel.

The goal is just to restore this car to original condition, no mods, just a sweet classic ride.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #83

Pulled the remaining calipers this weekend, still have to disassemble them. I had to grind off two wheel studs with rusted on lug nuts to get to them, so it was a long day yesterday.

I actually poured half the mold for the S600 tail lens last night...hope to pour the other half tonight!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #84

Pictures!

S600 lens reproduction in progress.

Powertrain from the yellow N.

A pile of beat up calipers.

NOS fender vs. old fender.

NOS fender vs. old fender.

Sticker on NOS fender.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #85
Registered Member

Looking good.

Where did you manage to find a NOS fender? That must have been hard.
smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #86
Registered Member

Since these rims are very cheap at the moment, I thought I'd post the link:
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k42340353

Have you ever seen one of these, it's a Japanese Official Service Station Sign, displayed in the front of mechanic shops authorized by Honda to work on these cars: http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r31720155

I've never seen one for the N600, just N360 LN360 T360/T500 and S600 (which I would absolutely LOVE to have an S600 sign).
smithenhiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #87

I scored the pair of NOS fenders from Paul @ Littlecartrader.com. I paid $300 for the pair. I figure it's worth the money to not have to invest so much time in attempting to restore the damaged fenders that came on the car.

That sign is awesome, but $250? WOW!

That's a good price on those wheels...only about $35 right now. I'll keep my eye on that auction and let you know. I haven't seen those wheels before.

Matt, if you really want to scoop the wheels, feel free, I'm not chomping at the bit for them.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #88
Driving on E

Ugh... makes me regret giving you the lead on the fenders now

Oh well... mine are no where near as bad as your's.

as for the wheels, I think I'm going to pass for now. There are so many other things I need to spend my money on right now before my n600.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #89

Well, I hate that it's come to this, but I'm going to have to sell all my N600 stuff. One too many projects going on currently, and WAY too many cars.

I would still like to own one someday - perhaps in a few years I can buy one that is closer to running condition.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm asking $1,500 for the lot, picked up.