Differential Explained - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Differential Explained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc
Starts slow, but is really pretty neat.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've seen that one before...it really is great. The meat starts at about 3:30.

[yt]K4JhruinbWc[/yt]

Old 12-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Great video...breaking down the principle of the differential gear into easily understood pieces.

I guess they hadn't invented the driveshaft tunnel yet...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

the wha? the model T had a driveshaft tunnel. my AA does. god that thing is a beast! axle and tube weigh prolly 900 lbs of pure AMERICAN steel AND its a worm gear drive rearend.

i first learned of how a differential works from believe it or not but legos (actually the Technic side of legos)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
How about the Torson differential . . . that was a major improvement. My BMW R100S has a swingarm with the shaft inside it to the rear end but it is not a differential. It does however use an offset from center pinion to drive the crown gear so it is sort of a worm drive. After I teflon empregnated the gears it became much easier to bump start in 1st gear where as before the rear wheel would lock up.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
the wha? the model T had a driveshaft tunnel. my AA does. god that thing is a beast! axle and tube weigh prolly 900 lbs of pure AMERICAN steel AND its a worm gear drive rearend.

i first learned of how a differential works from believe it or not but legos (actually the Technic side of legos)
I think you are thinking about the torque tube, which was a tube which enclosed the driveshaft. IIRC, Model Ts, Model As, and a bunch of other older model cars used that. I was talking about that hump down the middle of the floor on RWD cars...that place where you don't want to sit when you have 5 or six people in a six-passenger car...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
I think you are thinking about the torque tube, which was a tube which enclosed the driveshaft. IIRC, Model Ts, Model As, and a bunch of other older model cars used that. I was talking about that hump down the middle of the floor on RWD cars...that place where you don't want to sit when you have 5 or six people in a six-passenger car...
ahhh yea lol. yea that tube came about because cars were getting lower and faster (better handiling and lower due to better road imprevements. gotta remember T and A days roads were dirt and commonly got washed out/rutted. had to have high ground clearance and be rugged.

even up into the 50's roads were dirt (some still are)
Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
That hump is still there for the exhaust pipe now even on front wheel drive cars.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I think the hump is also structural to stiffen the floor.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I think the hump is also structural to stiffen the floor.
yea part exhaust routing part structural (or could be structural and decided to route the exhaust there