digital clock in 1991 CRX HF - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Supporting Member

digital clock in 1991 CRX HF

My HF doesn't have the digital clock in the middle console which I believe the Si version has. There are quite some people parting out Si's and I am thinking of getting one, but I wonder if anyone knows if the HF already has the connections for it and if it is just a question of removing the plastic piece and putting the clock in. Anyone know?

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Did a quick search on HT and a few people have indicated that the plug should be right there.

I'd take a look for myself. Be careful when taking out the vent assembly, I broke mine and had to Krazy Glue little pieces of it all back together.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1457127

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
When I bought my HF the previous owner had put an SI dashboard in it with the digital clock, he said it all just plugged right in.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #4

Its pre-wired, just get one from a junkyard.
78si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Thanks for the info! Just what I was looking for. I will start looking for the wires...
Old 11-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU View Post
Be careful when taking out the vent assembly, I broke mine and had to Krazy Glue little pieces of it all back together.
+1... The vent plastic is pretty brittle, and the metal clips that hold the vent in place don't pull out easily.
Pick up a set of little pointed probe things from Sears or where ever... Specifically a 90? angle one. It works nicely for reaching around the edge of the vent plastic and compressing the metal tabs that hold it in place.

I've got a spare dash sitting in the basement... I'll try to get some pics of the clock and vent removal.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Supporting Member

That would be great Bobski. I'm starting to get somewhat worried. Breaking the vent assembly wouldn't be worth having the digital clock to me...is there any way to get to the wires without removing the vent assy?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

You could remove the whole dash and reach up through the air handler (aka heater core) opening.
Even if you break it, it's not that big a deal... It's the little clip tab things that hold the face plate to the left/right vent louver assembly that break. You could simply glue the two back together once it's out. The tabs break because the metal clips that hold the whole assembly in the dash are attached to the louver block thing... Applying force to the face plate to try to remove the whole assembly stresses those little tab/clip things. Just put as little force on the face plate as you can get away with, and you should be fine.

Here's the vents with clock, and one of the probe things I was talking about. I couldn't find my right angle probe, so I used the hook version.

Start by removing the center console cover so you can see what you're doing.
As you'll see, there is a metal clip on each side of the vent. It's located to the side of the area between the vents and the little adjuster roller thing. Don't bother with the passenger side clip... I couldn't depress it far enough to release when I messed around with this earlier.
Slip your probe tool thing between the vent and dash, and depress the clip.

Carefully pull and/or pry the driver's side of the face plate away from the dash. This is where things generally break... Just make sure the tab is fully depressed and pray.

As you pull the vent out, it will seem to get hung up on something. It's the plastic wire harness holder on the back of the vent assembly.

Reach in and pop the wiring harness out of the holder if it hasn't already fallen out, and continue pivoting the vents out. The holder will probably get hung up on the edge of the dash... Force it a little and it will slip by.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Great DIY Bobski! You should maybe post it under DIY as well. I will need to get some of those nifty little tools!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Supporting Member

bobski -

Classy job on the help pics/instructions.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote