Drum Brakes - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #11
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomauto
How much more weight would rear disk brakes add compared to a drum brake setup. I was wanting to add disks in the back of my civic. I never thought of the extra rotating mass.
It's about a 25lbs difference overall from what I understand.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I don't like disk brakes because they alwas drag, it is part of their design to have close pads, if they came up with a design for disk brakes that was lighter then drums, and that the pads were able to fully retract, then I would think about them, but as they are they weigh more, and slow you down, try it, coast to a stope, and feel your wheels, if you have disk brakes they will all be warm, and the drums cold.
how much more does it cost to put a cable operated hand brake on a disk brake set up? was that included in your cost comparison?

I agree that disk brakes on the front of a motorcycle are nice, I've riden ones with every configuration, altho I never had an issue with the duel trailing pad front drum brake on my honda, the nicest thing about disk brakes on the front is that it's really hard to lock up the front wheel, and that is the only reason I would want them on a car or a motorcycle, but just like automatic transmitions, disk brakes are an extreamly problem filled part, I would say they require at least twice as much. attention/matence/tossing at of money then drums, altho

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
drum brakes have too much play.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
pedal

I would love a firmer pedal. It just feels safer. That is one of my main quibbles about drum brakes...the soft feel of them is just unassuring. I had my brakes resurfaced, bled, and resurfaced last year. Still soft. It was dissapointing. I haven't done any shopping, but I know I would want it at some point.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #15
Registered Member

It's possible that your flex lines are doing just that! They do go bad and get weak and will expand under pressure. You could switch to braided steel lines for a rock hard peddle.
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

good points everyone, but in the end regen owns all!

There was a toyota prius II at over 100,000 km that showed no signed in brake wear unless you put a microscope to it. Regen braking is truly the bomb and all drums should be installed for maximum weight reduction! Well I save gas so I barely go fast anyway so my front discs and rear drums are good enough.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #17
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i drove a car with 4 corner drums recently. horribly unsafe. i would take out airbags and seatbelts before going drums on all 4 corners. i dont understand how there is an argument for all drums in a street car.

even with stainless brake lines, it still will have the play, all drums do this. it is the nature of the beast.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:12 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
haveing drum brakes on all 4 corners is not something that I would push for, drum brakes are to good at locking up wheels, where disk brakes are better at slowing you down without lock up, disk brakes make lousy parking brakes from what I've seen, and it's nice not to have the wheels you use to steeer with locking up.

as for disk brake being cheaper, to replace my entire brake system,
drum brakes cost $187.30 per wheel to buy all new brake drums, wheel bearings, mud guards, brake shoes for the rear.
disk brakes cost $325.97 per wheel for disks, calipers, bearings, pads, guards.
they still use drum brakes on the rear of vehicles like the Honda Insight, and they went to great laingths to make that vehicle safe, and light weight.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
braided steel lines

Not many parts are actually available for my 4 door civic. They are few and far between. Anybody know any decent brands??
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

I have been able to get a lot of the item's for my 89 Honda, from a place called Autohaus AZ. They are available in Phoenix, or over the internet. So far all of the part's have been very high quality, at very reasonable price's, which is not easy to do for Honda part's, generally. They don't alway's have every thing I have needed, but I've gotten all of my ring's, bearing's, head gasket's, water pump's, oil pump's and thing's like that from them and I've been very happy with the quality. (This is not a pitch, it's just my experience!)

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote