Drum Brakes - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland

as for disk brake being cheaper, to replace my entire brake system,
drum brakes cost $187.30 per wheel to buy all new brake drums, wheel bearings, mud guards, brake shoes for the rear.
disk brakes cost $325.97 per wheel for disks, calipers, bearings, pads, guards.
they still use drum brakes on the rear of vehicles like the Honda Insight, and they went to great laingths to make that vehicle safe, and light weight.
Henry Ford said..."Small cars, small profits ; big cars, big profits." Can we not say the same thing about brakes? Just look again at the numbers above....Drum brakes, if done right, will stop anything...from any speed.Like anything else...cut corners, make more profit. IMHO, anyhow....This is a no brainer!

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
I've seen Jeeps with that too. Certainly no cost savings there!
They're cheap! Molds are used...for these investment castings....no sweat!

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #53
Registered Member

Re: Drum Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888 View Post
I don't know what you are complaining about. The only problem i have with brakes is I think ABS should be standard on all cars.

I have drum for the rear and discs for the front. My front disc brakes are huge. I can easily lock my tires at any speed, these *****es hold. I erased my last set of tires when I braked on the freeway to avoid a dog. Since then I have gotten rid of my warped disc problem and upgraded to racing pads. The pads are a little bit too much, they grip a lot more.

I'm fine with drum brakes in the rear, just make ABS because evrytime I slam the brakes my tires gets erased.
Big judgment error!! Erase the dog next time...... On a busy freeway, braking suddenly and hard to avoid a dog could result in the fellow behind you rear ending you, and ultimately a pile up of several cars. Brake for humans........ erase dogs under these circumstances, not tires and cars!
GasSavers_Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #54
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Wow, old bump.

Yeah I agree, sudden moves on the highway should be reserved for avoiding human death. I have seen too many people swerve around harmless debris and lose control of the car (including one time when the driver wound up dead avoiding an obviously empty Rubbermaid trash barrel).
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #55
Registered Member

He never said it was a BUSY freeway. If you have situational awareness and you know there's no other traffic crawling up your tailpipe you can do something other than stupidly plow into whatever may be in front of you.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote