DX Chassis VX Motor Swap Questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

DX Chassis VX Motor Swap Questions

Hey all-
Been away for a while, in need of advice again.

Got a full VX parts car, totally rotted out in the rear suspension area. Lost cause on the body....
Scarfed the engine, trans, ecu, exhaust, etc. Still have the parts car with VX harness.

Picked up a DX with a bad motor. Pulled the motor, no problems.

Questions:
The engine harness will go with the motor, so no problems there. The passenger mass disconnect is missing pins on the ECU side. 5 wires total are missing from the large main disconnect. Presumably these are map sensor, vtec E, and the 5th wire from the 02.
What I want to do is unplug the rest of the harness leading through the firewall to where it meets the ECU. Then, where the rest of the harness takes off towards the drivers side, cut all wires and reconnect them to the DX chassis. As long as they are all the same color, I should be golden, but I don't know if that's true yet. One difference that is obvious is that the VX has EGR and the DX did not. Therefore, there are two wires leading to the drivers side firewall harness that are not present on the DX. Presumably I'd find two wires missing from the harness in the VX interior headed for the drivers side. If so, the job is cake. If not, the job is more complicated.

Thoughts? Anyone have a wiring schematic to build a conversion harness? I have a basic wiring diagram of "typical civic" wiring... including VX, but not specific to the DX.

All other problems seem to have been worked out such as motor mounts, exhaust, etc.
Anyone know why the DX was heavier than the VX? I swapped the motor mount that is alloy for the cast iron one. That's gotta be a 10# difference right there!
I have this VX sitting here and I could scarf any light parts needed for the swap.

Thanks all!
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

The 2 wires headed to the interior might be for the shift light.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Uhg..... After tons of googling, it looks like there's no good diagram to work with, nor does rywire offer an off the shelf solution. Best bet looks like pulling entire VX harness and swapping to the DX.
Pros-
It is guaranteed to work.
If I find problem wires, I can fix them.
The shift light will work.

Cons-
It must be disconnected all the way to the drivers foot area where there is supposedly a mass disconnect for the rear of the car.
I may have to pull the dash to get to all the wires! What a drag that'd be... twice!
Rear wiper on the DX will likely no longer work. No problem really, just swap out the VX rear hatch.
The VX radio harness has been hacked by the previous owner and will have to be fixed.

Thoughts? Really need this thing on the road ASAP as a fuel sipper, can't have lean burn not working.
B
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

All you should need to wire up are the shift light as stated the egr wires and the vtech just add the wires much easier. Go look on ecomodder slowanduglys build lxvx. Vx into a 4 door. The pin outs are out there I have one if you need it pm me if you can't find it. You gonna sell me stuff cheap? I emailed you on eBay. Lol. Best in luck.
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

.:FFS TechNet : OBD1 ECU Pin out Schematics :.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Lean burn Honda Civic sedan: 93 Civic d15z1 swap into LX 4 door (VLX) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

All great info, glad to find that build thread. Still haven't found a reliable pin for the d15b7 harness as is. I may go that route yet...
But the parts car is mostly torn apart already. It wouldn't be that much work to get it out and swap it over. And then there' be no worries about new connections that could fail. I'm on the fence.
I'll message you on ebay, I assume you're after the interior pieces?
Thanks!
B
Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

I asked about the master cyl brake and clutch. Just de pin your vx harness and run them in the other car cleaner easier and trust me the right way to do it.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hey all-
Well, the DVX is on the road now for about a week. I ended up swapping the entire harness. It really wasn't that bad, pulled the entire dash on both cars and heatercore. Had to swap the a few things over from the other dash but all told about 6.5 hours work. And, no CEL's! I can't complain. Would I do it again? Yep. It was actually kind of liberating because I've never dug that far into a car before. Now I have no fear of replacing a heater core or the like.

I'll post a pick of the firewall naked from the inside a little later.
Thanks for the input all!
Rusty-
Clutch slave and master I'm going to save. Brake booster and master I had to use because one was worn out. Radiator is trashed.

B