Ethanol Lube - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ethanol Lube

http://shareethaknowledge.com/?gclid...FQdY2godK3k8ZQ

this site claims to dismiss "myths" of ethanol. i couldn't find anything about the negative affects of it on fuel systems however. i've had issues regarding fuel system delivery since E10 made it's way to central florida in recent years.

i believe what they claim about keeping engines clean, so i really think expensive fuel cleaners are a waste; but i would like to begin a discussion on fuel system lube. thoughts?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

i've been using amsoil 2 stroke, but i just bought some lucas upper cylinder lube.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post

this site claims to dismiss "myths" of ethanol. i couldn't find anything about the negative affects of it on fuel systems however. i've had issues regarding fuel system delivery since E10 made it's way to central florida in recent years.

i believe what they claim about keeping engines clean, so i really think expensive fuel cleaners are a waste; but i would like to begin a discussion on fuel system lube. thoughts?
I have been messing with ethanol for the last two years as my race fuel E85.
I love the stuff!!!!

I have converted several customers cars into Flex Fuel vehicles.

Four DSM's
Five Hondas
One Sentra ser spev v with a rear mount turbo.
Ford Mustang
etc.

From my personal experience what i have found is when you switch to E85 on a car that has been using petrol for a few years you will get debris in your fuel filters. So you need to change them out in the first 500 to 1000 miles. After that you will be good to go.

Also after tearing a few of these E85 engine down i have noticed that they look brand new. Were taking very clean combustion chambers and piston tops. Plus you will instantly notice that your oil will stay very clean to the point it looks new all the time.

As far as lubricates I didn't run any in all these cars and did'nt notice any issues with them.

One other issue that needs to be address is sometimes not all the time you will see a collection of black looking soot on the tip of the fuel injectors. They have given it a nick name of the black beard syndrome. This is something over time that if not watch it could give you problems?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
Banned

hey are you anywhere near salmon idaho? I have friends there who might be interested in an e85 swap maybe..
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotaneagle View Post
hey are you anywhere near salmon idaho? I have friends there who might be interested in an e85 swap maybe..
I live up in the northern panhandle of Idaho, about 80 miles south of the Canadian border.

I think Salmon is in about the middle of the state?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #6

ehtanol/wet or dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post

There are many websites that are stating that wet ethanol performs so much better...the distillation processes do not require the the lighter gas molecules to be distilled....when getting dry ethanol.
That explains the difference of "fuel density BTU comparisons"
This has been known since 1934...when the rulling scholars noted that gasoline in use smelled terrible compared to ethanol use...and submitted data that "low-grade ethanol" (wet ethanol) did not pollute the air with obnoxious smells and only needed a slight pre-heat time to out perform gasoline....when cold starting.
We have been dupped since that time.
The slight amount of water absorbed....acts as a lubricant...like water lubricated bearings.
That would something to google to appreciate water as a lubricant.

The ASTM has changed the perdictable outcomes of the energy released concerning wet ethanol blends...in 2008.
Far superior to gasoline blends...
especially when using the 'splash method of blending'...which has been used since dry ethanol was introduced as an oxygenator.
The purposeful intent was to deter the effciency of ethanol blends.

Look up the Microfuel.com...uses the Butterfield technology of making wet ethanol...at home.
Look closely at the head people running this rodeo.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Kinda on the same lines regarding E85, is it like gasoline where only a small amount will actually evaporate into a flameable vapor and the rest of the fuel is just a "heavy" fuel that won't evaporate easily? Or will more of the E85 evaporate into a flameable vapor than gasoline?

I've got a project lawn mower that runs on fuel vapors, but it doesn't run too long with gasoline. I want to try E85 and see if it's any better.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

Re: Ethanol Lube

I get horrible mileage with ethanol polluted fuel. If my vehicles were tuned for it I am sure it wouldn't be so bad. We need to pick a fuel and stay with it instead of this mixing and trying to rig em to work for both. Jmo
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

IDC what anybody says, ethanol needs to be kicked to the curb, except for e85. E85 is good in my opinion for the newer cars, but I don't like somebody putting something into the fuel that my car originally wasn't tuned to run on. I noticed a bit of difference in mileage between e10 and regular unleaded gas. On my trip to FL, I got 28mpg on my way on the first tank, and then so happened I stumble across a station with ethanol free gas and that tank gave me 36mpg. Same foot, same engine, same car, same I-95. Go figure.

Not to mention I work on Chinese mopeds on the side and ethanol tears carbs up BAD. Corrosion gets inside the needle and pilot jets. You can run the stuff if you are an avid rider, but if your liquorcycle once a week, you are eventually going to be screwed. You have to use expensive ethanol enzyme that probably doesn't work.
shag wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag wagon View Post
E85 is good in my opinion for the newer cars
Only flex-fuel vehicles certified to run on E85. Most newer cars won't run well on it, just like most older cars.

Quote:
Not to mention I work on Chinese mopeds on the side and ethanol tears carbs up BAD. Corrosion gets inside the needle and pilot jets. You can run the stuff if you are an avid rider, but if your liquorcycle once a week, you are eventually going to be screwed. You have to use expensive ethanol enzyme that probably doesn't work.
Same with lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. You have to install a fuel shutoff valve if it doesn't already have one, and when you're going to park it for a week you shut it down using the valve so the carb bowl runs dry.