Geo timing belts - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Geo timing belts

My mom has a 97ish 4dr 4wd tracker, and the manual says just to inspect the timing belt (at least what I was told it says) and that it doesnt need to be replaced at 100k.

I know there are a lot of Geo owners on here, so I figured someone might know if this is untrue or not. I can't imagine it would be too hard to change the belt, but if they do last a long time, I wasnt going to touch it.

Could someone shed light onto this subject for me?

Thanks!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

That doesn't make alot of sense since timing belts don't always show any visible signs of wear before they fail. This is why most manufactures have recommended service intervals of mileage and or time.

mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

What does it recommend as the replacement interval? Was the timing belt replaced at some previous point.

At 100,000 if the belt has not been replaced, I would consider getting it replaced. It could easily last to 150,000 or better. It could just as easily break and leave you sitting in the middle of somewhere inconvenient. The objective is to avoid the inconvenient's.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

I don't think it was ever replaced, since the car was purchased around 70k at least, but right now i think it is around 120kish miles, so it should probably be replaced.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
What does it recommend as the replacement interval? Was the timing belt replaced at some previous point.

At 100,000 if the belt has not been replaced, I would consider getting it replaced. It could easily last to 150,000 or better. It could just as easily break and leave you sitting in the middle of somewhere inconvenient. The objective is to avoid the inconvenient's.
And depending on if the engine is an interference engine (the valves can hit the pistons when the timing belt breaks) it could be an expensive inconvience.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

haha yea... saw that happen once.

now my chevette is a non interferince engine, belt snaps, you coast off the road, take off 4 cover bolts and line up the "gears". slip a new belt on and your good to go. some guy i know did his in a parking lot.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

suzuki belt

100,000 miles is pushing it . i had 2 to snap on the 1.0 motors both at about 95,000 miles. the later motors went to a wider belt to help with this.
larryn2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Belts that are getting old are going to show some signs of wear like cracks and missing rubber around the fibers. I heard VW belts working fine with holes right through the fibers but I don't recommend running them that long. If you are operating the car in very hot or very cold temperatures then the belt will wear faster. There is not a real lot of load on the smaller engines but a lot of high revs will also make it last less. My 94 1.0 3 cylinder was relativly easy to change but I didn't keep it long enough to change it only getting it to about 90k miles. I did check it and it was doing ok.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
a friend just had his timing belt on his Acura changed for $250, and looking under the hood at the engine it was tight enough that I didn't want to do it, the geo should have alot more room and thus be a bit cheaper, about the same price as having to call a tow truck because it broke like a friend had happen on his vehicle last night, $280 just for the towing fee, so my vote is get it replaced.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
a friend just had his timing belt on his Acura changed for $250, and looking under the hood at the engine it was tight enough that I didn't want to do it, the geo should have alot more room and thus be a bit cheaper, about the same price as having to call a tow truck because it broke like a friend had happen on his vehicle last night, $280 just for the towing fee, so my vote is get it replaced.
That is all true. I've done quite a few Honda timing belts by now, so I don't think it should be much different to change the one on the tracker, since it is simply a sohc 4 cylinder, and it does have a LOT more room than most Hondas.