Help me DIY my old corroded brakes!! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
Registered Member

The speedo not working generally is your VSS...which is just a little thing that plugs into the top of the tranny, and fairly easy to replace (but the issue with it is usually that the contacts on it become corroded).

I would get a used one off of ebay from someone with a good rating since I'm sure they cost a lot from the dealer. But just incase, check Majestic Honda´s website to see how much they are new. The speedo fix should not cost more than the VSS. If he is trying to replace your cluster, that will probably not fix the problem, but will cost a lot more, and will take a lot more time to replace.

Personally, I would never use cinder blocks (though I did when I didnt own jack stands). I have heard too many stories of them breaking from friends. Get a set of wide-based, short, jackstands from your local Walmart. They sell there for less than $20. I´ve been using cheap but sturdy jackstands for the last 5 years, and love them.

But if your budget absolutely does not allow for jack stands. Lay wood blocks on top of the cinder blocks, and they will probably be fine.

I would buy a decent hydraulic floor-jack from Sears, or from some other reputable hardware chain (From $75 on sale and up. It should last 20 years or so without giving you trouble). Don´t go with the walmart jack (cost about $25). They drop WAY too fast, and cause the car to hop-off of the jack, ruining whatever is in the way of the jack (personally I had one take out my rad. costing me over $200...).

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Thanks for da help guys. I bought a $20 jack from Advance Auto Parts and it immediately started going down after jacking up the car. Returned it for the same jack with two jack stands, but perhaps I should have just gotten a refund and invested in a quality jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
If you just need a new cluster, you can get one for 20 bucks and it is VERY easy to replace. A few screws to take the plastic hood off and undo the cluster mounts and a few plugs to yank out of the back.

You can do it!
Easier than installing a CD player that already has the wire harnesses? Because even something simple like that I need help with. :-/ But with practice I hopefully will become mechanically inclined.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:20 AM   #23
Registered Member

You'll probably need 2 new drums....shoes...hardware kit....2 wheel cylinders...in all less than $100. Be sure your e-brake cables slack off though...otherwise...dragging brakes.

NEVER use a trolley jack without a couple of jackstands as back up....if they get a little low on oil...they will just drop.

Concrete blocks can and will suddenly crack and ....you don't want to be under the car.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #24
Registered Member

The rear wheel bearing replacement on my 87 civic was very easy. Just pry out that plate on the center of the wheel hub. You should see a big nut with a crimped spot to keep it from coming loose. Use a chisel to uncrimp that spot and then use an impact wrench or long breaker bar to take the nut off. The whole hub and bearing should slide off. Replace the hub and bearing with a new one (about $90 for my 87) and tighten the nut to the correct torque and recrimp it with a chisel.

Be glad you don't have to replace the front wheel bearings- lots of work and you would need to take the spindles to a shop to have the bearings pressed out/new ones pressed in.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Just for reference, the axle nut in the front and the spindle nut in the rear are 32mm

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #26
*shrug*

Jacks and blocks are important. I use wood because I think it is least likely to tip or smush.

I'd say the cluster swap is about as hard as the cd player, mehbe less. I feel like it's more accessible. In any case, if you want to come down here and work with me, I would be very happy to show you the ropes on things.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #27
Registered Member

Thanks SVOboy. This weekend I do brake overhaul. Wish me luck everybody! Cause I'm sure as hell gonna need it....

Next weekend maybe I come down to NJ. Then we do IACV cleaning, VSS fix for the speedo, maybe an EGR cleaning/inspection. And whatever other tips and tricks you might have up your sleave. And maybe do some rust removal/seal and bondo work on the rust hole. How's that sound? :P And then maybe finally I can get the car inspected and start the slow but steady road to 109mpg! Actually, I should really fix the rust hole and get the car inspected before such a big trip. So maybe I squeeze that in sometime during the week.

On Monday the mechanic I believe is going to replace the throttle body, the timing belt and alternator belt, and do a valve adjustment. I don't think there is anything else I need him to do, since the rest I'm relying on this group to hold my hand through!

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this little community of fellow fuel sippers.

cheers everyone!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Thanks for da help guys. I bought a $20 jack from Advance Auto Parts and it immediately started going down after jacking up the car. Returned it for the same jack with two jack stands, but perhaps I should have just gotten a refund and invested in a quality jack.

Easier than installing a CD player that already has the wire harnesses? Because even something simple like that I need help with. :-/ But with practice I hopefully will become mechanically inclined.
I would invest in a better jack. The cheapies just drop too fast, which can sometimes throw the car off the jack and ruin whatever is in the way.

The only hard part about replacing the cluster is removing the damn plastic for the dash that is around it. Once that is out of the way, it's much easier than a cd player install. You'll only need to undo a few screws, and unplug the old unit.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #29
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #30
Registered Member

I picked up a Haynes. The only tool that I know of that I don't have is a flair wrench for the brake lines which my friend is gonna try to pick up at Napa today. Tonight we will put the car up on the two car jacks I bought and then soak the rusty brakes with some stuff I bought (forget what it's called) and then tomorrow we start work.