Help me GasSavers! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Help me GasSavers!

My $25 Cherry Picker can't even pick me up any more. The jack finally gave out, which isn't surprising considering it's age, and the fact that I was pushing it near it's rated capacity. Anyway, I could, and probably will, just pick up a replacement jack for $50-70, but I'd really like to fix this little puppy and continue using it in some fashion. Does anyone here know how to disassemble these? I figure I can take the blown seals with me to hardware stores/shops/etc and piece together a replacement set, but I'm not sure what to take apart and how. I'd rather not break something I could fix just because I don't know what I'm doing.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

I was thinking about that, but given the going labor rate, I may only be saving myself a few bucks. I'll definitely look into it!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Meanwhile you can use a $15 come-along and a strong rafter or branch.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Damn shipping! I'll probably grab one of those anyway, but would two rafters support the front end of a 2k lb car at a 45+ degree angle? I was thinking about doing that in the first place, but I'd rather not explain to my mom how I took down part of her garage.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Damn shipping! I'll probably grab one of those anyway, but would two rafters support the front end of a 2k lb car at a 45+ degree angle? I was thinking about doing that in the first place, but I'd rather not explain to my mom how I took down part of her garage.
The rafters will hold as long as someone is videotaping it
Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Crap, no VC.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Hydraulic bottle jacks?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Registered Member

Pretty much... Any ideas on disassembly?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
what are the specs on that ram? (what does your cherry picker look like???) I have a 3 ton ram like this from Northern Tool, and it seems to work really well, of course I only have it in a cider press... they also have some 8 ton rams
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
Registered Member

How is it malfunctioning?

Will it pump up without a load on it and then leaks down when you have a load on it? In that case it is probablty the seal on the bottom of that long shaft. Loosen that big nut on top and the long shaft should slide out of the top of that tube. There should be an o ring type seal on the bottom that you can replace. Sometimes you can find a generic one that will fit- if it has a cupped shape then you'll have to order it from a hydraulic supply company.

If it won't pump up (extend) at all even without a load on it, then it is likely the small shiny pumping rod mechanism/check valve. It might just be clogged with sludge.

Just carefully take it all apart- they are fairly simple. Don't loose the steel ball under the bleed valve.

Hydraulic seals are usually pretty cheap- so wear old greasy clothes when you go to the hydraulics shop and bring in the long rod and old seal with you if you need the piston seal- they will need to take some measurements oof it. At many places you won't be overcharged if you look like you can't afford it.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote